Discuss Back to the trade after a loooong time away. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nobbin

-
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else had been away from the trade for an extended period? And what they did to get back up to speed.
I have managed to get work subbing for a company who say they will help me but still think I need to brush up on my theory side. When I started back in 1980 things were very different so I realised that I'll need to do something, so I did a DEI course with a company in Manchester for 4 weeks. It was an eye opener with regard to regulations, cable types and fuse boxes/consumer units, but I am very aware that a four week course is not going to suffice.
Apart from doing a college course which would, from what I've read here and other forums be the ideal, I am considering doing the 2392-10 for not least of reasons at least then I'll be able to test correctly any work that I do. That is also something that the company I sub for would like me to do, but I feel lacking and would rather hear from guys in the trade than approach another college sales person wanting my money. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

I thought most of these 4 weeks domestic course packages included the 2392 course as its the intro testing one?
If you really want to get your teeth stuck into testing then the 2391 course is the way to go but its down to you.
It is a case of getting your hands dirty i think and getting on with work.
Out of interest what qualifications/experience did you have before leaving the trade prior to your return?

Ah! Qualifications. Well none to be honest. I worked with my brothers and friends in the building trade and learned on the job. I am still in contact with a few of the lads from back then and they are still going. I am looking to start a property maintenance business and eventually move off the tools (sooner rather than later) to manage the business. But I feel an urge to be more than just another guy who bought a van and some tools blah blah blah. If my business is to gain any credibility then that credibility has to start with me. To that end I wish to be as much up to speed as I possibly can be and am prepared to do the time and work. I've got a good 11 to 15 years left in the tank.

Hi Nobbin. I did exactly the same as you are thinking. I did a 2392, which doesn't cover EICR's, like the 2391. I was pretty rusty on testing, in fact hadn't done much testing at all, when I left in 1985. Five years on since I've returned, I'm fairly confident and I would now consider the 2391. So doing the 2391 over the 2392, depends on your own experience and knowledge, and of course if you intend to do EICR's. For me, the 2392 was a good choice in my circumstances. By the way, I would recommend one of the forum sponsors, TradeSkills4U.

I think you also have to be realistic on the amount of work, your likely to get in your first few years. Most work, comes via word of mouth. So unless you've got an 'in' with a builder or some similar business, you'll find it a struggle in your first few years. Its also, quite hard work. I think I had a bit of a rose tinted specs view of domestic work. You are on quite tight time scales, when involved with other trades.

I'm actually deciding whether to continue, as I'm busting a gut to make ends meet. Good luck.

Reply to Back to the trade after a loooong time away. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock