Discuss Backbox earth points in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

What do you think of the earth screws that come on some metal Backboxes like this?

Backbox earth points ae235 - EletriciansForums.net
Compared to this type.

Backbox earth points ae235 - EletriciansForums.net

I prefer the type the second one because they feel easier and safer to work with.

funny, been on a 2nd fix. 1st done by another. bloody tw4t had fixed all the boxes with the E terminal at top where i had to get down on knees to see it, manufacturer 's terminals so close in corner, hard to get wire in. tiny screws, 2 snapped off . 1 box i had to fit a ring lug to E wire and secure under fixing screw. pain in the arse.

You Sir, need to get out more. :)

I honestly don't mind either but I know what you mean. :)

funny, been on a 2nd fix. 1st done by another. bloody tw4t had fixed all the boxes with the E terminal at top where i had to get down on knees to see it, manufacturer 's terminals so close in corner, hard to get wire in. tiny screws, 2 snapped off . 1 box i had to fit a ring lug to E wire and secure under fixing screw. pain in the arse.

So you wouldn't recommend the screw type?

I need to pick up a couple of 35mm boxes and they all have screws. Which is going to make for a fiddly job.

any stupid problems with materials, i just put this on loud and all problems seem to disappear.

Hi,

What do you think of the earth screws that come on some metal Backboxes like this?

View attachment 38830
Compared to this type.

View attachment 38831

I prefer the type the second one because they feel easier and safer to work with.
Anyone ever thought of boxes complete with fly lead? failing that fit a fly lead during 1st fix.

The top ones can easily miss cores of cable and require multiple attempts to fix the core properly but they have greater capacity for cables if you have hundreds of wires coming into your back box. The lower ones are easier to fix but more difficult to see especially when installed as Tel says.

The top ones can easily miss cores of cable and require multiple attempts to fix the core properly but they have greater capacity for cables if you have hundreds of wires coming into your back box. The lower ones are easier to fix but more difficult to see especially when installed as Tel says.
and even worse when the terminal is askew and the hole to put your fly lead in is up against the metal box.

Anyone ever thought of boxes complete with fly lead? failing that fit a fly lead during 1st fix.
Did exactly that on a one off job that I'm doing. Crimped an insulated earth wire and fixed to earth terminal in box before fixing box into wall. did wonder why don't manufactures do it, but knew the answer straight away.....simple, down to cost!

When it was the norm to twist all conductors together before terminating, the top arrangement was best.

Now the practice is not to twist, neither fixings are satisfactory.

18 Ammend 1 should address this...

I have the second type boxes in my house. ... not that any of them are connected. Should they be? I'm only Level 1!
it's more important to take earth to the faceplate for sockets and for metal switch plates. earrthing the box is optional as long as it has 1 fixed lug.

I don't mind the first type - it's part of the backbox so isn't going to twist round to face in the wrong direction or come off.

Reply to Backbox earth points in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock