Discuss Backup generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lazlo

Customer has already acquired a 'Loncin 80000-F' 6kW generator which has 115V and 230V sockets, to be used to run a few lights and central heating in power cuts. They are T-T. Genny also has a circuit breaker of sorts.

I'm suspecting it is not suitable as it will have a floating earth, chassis connected to the center point of the winding, meaning it will need double pole protection. Would it be acceptable to attach an earth electrode to the chassis then take the supply from the genny into an enclosure where the earth and neutral are linked and then Live & Neutral passed though an RCD, then a suitable MCB, then take the supply into a manual changeover switch?

Not being funny but I think you would be better to be passing this job on to someone that knows a bit more than you when it comes to domestic stand-by generators and their requirements. All is not quite as simple as it may first look....

Last edited by a moderator:
This type of genny is not for use as a permanently wired back-up power solution in a building. Just use it as it was intended by running extension leads, don't connect it to a DB or consumer unit.

I don't know enough about gennies to install backup gennies for domestics so when asked I decline the job or give Marvo's advice.

Chances are that any genny the customer supplies for a domestic won't be suitable anyway.

Yes, agreed. I've turned the job down and pointed them towards a company that supply and install generators. Stick to what you know and do it properly. Cheers for the advice anyway. Might be something I would consider doing some training for as I do get quite a few customers asking me. Does anyone know of a decent training provider for something like this?

Every customer I've had ask me about this has gone white at the cost of doing it properly.

I just make sure they know the dangers of a diy bodge.

Killing DNO jointers and other minor inconveniences.

Killing DNO jointers and other minor inconveniences.

^^^ Heed what Ferg has said ^^^

As a cable jointer trained by one of the old regional boards it was constantly drummed to us about the dangers of back feeds from badly installed generators.

Get it wrong and you’ll have the death of some innocent just doing their job.

I know just the firm i used to work for many moons ago 4 pole change over switch on 3 ph and a earth rod on genny on. Tncs supply. Thats how we did it. Never questioned it as i was learning. Just asking.

I know just the firm i used to work for many moons ago 4 pole change over switch on 3 ph and a earth rod on genny on. Tncs supply. Thats how we did it. Never questioned it as i was learning. Just asking.

No again, it would have been a 4 pole 3 phase and ''NEUTRAL'' changeover switch!! the very last thing you would do, is leave a solid neutral connection between the main supply and a generator.

Perhaps this is one reason for not giving too much information out on a forum that could ultimately injure or worse others working on the DNO's distribution system... But don't tell richy3333 that, let him go on believing what he want to believe!!

You can't just put a switch in to the earth without it being guaranteed to make the earth connection first and break it last.

It would do if as he stated he used a 4 pole changeover switch and used the usually marked N pole to connect the earth conductor!!! But then that leaves a solid neutral connection between primary and generator supplies... Not a very clever thing to do at all ...lol!!

No it would have been 4 pole . 3ph + n change over and earth rod on gen. So do they do a 5 pole change over that connects / breaks earth first /last. Asked at wholesalers today out of intrest and they said not. Never seen only 4 or 3.

Customer has already acquired a 'Loncin 80000-F' 6kW generator which has 115V and 230V sockets, to be used to run a few lights and central heating in power cuts. They are T-T. Genny also has a circuit breaker of sorts.

I'm suspecting it is not suitable as it will have a floating earth, chassis connected to the center point of the winding, meaning it will need double pole protection. Would it be acceptable to attach an earth electrode to the chassis then take the supply from the genny into an enclosure where the earth and neutral are linked and then Live & Neutral passed though an RCD, then a suitable MCB, then take the supply into a manual changeover switch?

You are absolutly right.

No it would have been 4 pole . 3ph + n change over and earth rod on gen. So do they do a 5 pole change over that connects / breaks earth first /last. Asked at wholesalers today out of intrest and they said not. Never seen, only 4 or 3.

That's because there isn't any, not unless it's to a special order, but you certainly wouldn't be switching the earthing through a changeover switch on a generator set-up anyway....

Reply to Backup generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net