Discuss Backup switching - UPS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kevin Yates

Hi All,

I am looking some advice regarding what device/s would be required to do the following:

I have a fairly heavy duty UPS (APC 2200VA, supports max of 1980 Watts - it's pure sine wave if that makes a difference). There are a few electrical items attached, totalling no more than 150 Watts at the most.

I also have a lighting circuit, which is all on one 6A breaker in the consumer unit and consists of various fixtures and fittings, all LED and totalling no more than 350 Watts if all on full.

What I want to know is what would be required to either have the supply for lighting circuit switched to the UPS upon grid power cuts, or be able to manually switch between grid power and UPS backup for the lighting?

Thanks in advance

The only way I can see you getting what you want is to connect your UPs in an active mode, i.e. connect upfront of your CU, but at 2.2Kva it's hardly worth the trouble as it couldn't sustain your whole house load.

The only way I can see you getting what you want is to connect your UPs in an active mode, i.e. connect upfront of your CU, but at 2.2Kva it's hardly worth the trouble as it couldn't sustain your whole house load.

On the face of it, removing the lighting circuit from the CU and connecting it to the output of the UPS via a suitable fuse or circuit breaker and an RCD would do the job.

On the face of it, removing the lighting circuit from the CU and connecting it to the output of the UPS via a suitable fuse or circuit breaker and an RCD would do the job.
Cant really see how that method would work with a stand alone UPs, can you explain your thoughts, not saying it's not workable just interested.

Important to note your invertor is probably designed to power a double insulated appliance and not for a fixed wiring installation (?). It will need a proper design for fixed installation to power lights or outlets (earth system, overcurrent, RCD). Remember your invertor is able to generate a lethal shock. Just saying :)

I'm not sure about the UK regs on installing standby power into a CU. Where I am you can move circuits into a segregated area within a DB (CU) and supply those circuits by a UPS or standby generator etc which automatically switches in the event of a power outage. There's also labelling requirement as well and the UPS needs to be a suitable type for doing this.

Done a few small ups jobs for company in Scotland and was as simple as the ups was powered by a fuse as normal, the outputs went to fused spur first then off to where they were needed,

Reply to Backup switching - UPS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net