Discuss Backward Strides in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I started out with the mod and one of the many tests undertaken was a colour blindness test....i always thought they were compulsory!

Maybe they should make the colours a free-for-all so you can use whatever colours take your fancy for lives neutrals and earth. That would certainly introduce some Darwin type natural selection by culling those who don't know how to use a tester properly :)

Maybe they should make the colours a free-for-all so you can use whatever colours take your fancy for lives neutrals and earth. That would certainly introduce some Darwin type natural selection by culling those who don't know how to use a tester properly :)

Oooh that sounds like fun :)

The biggest issue with the industry is the ability or lack of it for an apprentice to get a job in the trade now and to be able to gain the relevant experience in different areas. it really is a lottery for them when they get taken on by a company. for instance if they go work with a company that just does domestics are they to blame when they don`t get the chance to learn and gain the relevant commercial or industrial parts of the industry? it is true that you unfortunately are only as good as the person training you (with a few exceptions), this then will also relate to the lack of quality training within many of the colleges. many of the apprentices I have visited on site have never been shown how to make of swa work with pyro or even wire up a basic alarm system. and then when they come on here to ask for advice too many times have they been put off ever asking any type of advice again. many of the colleges will only give the bare basic training needed to complete the exams now and if its not in the exam then you wont be doing it in the workshop. It is a real shame to see some of them not able to then do the work in which they would have been more than capable to undertake because of the lack of opportunities. it is a real shame that the apprentices are not able to be put onto a national register where they can complete the different types of work thus leading to a real good all round qualification rather than the nvq in which units can be bent in the direction of having the work signed off.

Going metric. (the beginning?)
Poor standard of conduit accessories (brass bushes really are cheap crap)
Demise of pyro ( in most peoples' eyes)
Half baked courses provided by training centre, money merchants, giving false confidence to the inexperienced.

Hope you're not forgetting that in the seventies three phases became three browns!!!. This is a good thread, as it shows there is agreement on what is bad in our trade, and also exposes the fact that the changes come about as a matter of manufacturing expediency (more profit/ single core cables are easier to make) or tinkering by eurocrats with our system. We are the people who should be consulted on change, now that the IEE seems to have taken a back seat, and NICEIC is registering gas fitters.

selling all the sparks kit in diy shed,.they didn,t do it years ago and joe public left things alone now every man and his dog thinks he,s a sparks just cause he fitted a plug top once.
Incidentally regarding colour blindness,when we went from red, black and green in flexes to the brown, blue and green/yellow the thinking was that the darkest colour was the live and the lightest was the earth,whatever was left went to neutral.

Lets be honest though, if you're colour blind, you shouldn't really be choosing a career in electrical installation. Same as you'll never see a midget window cleaner or an armless spread. Some people just can't do certain jobs, it sucks, but that's just the way it is.

I don't know DS some plaster work I have seen in my time would indicate that not only where they armless, but gormless as well .........................I know PC uncorrect I'll get my coat

I don't know DS some plaster work I have seen in my time would indicate that not only where they armless, but gormless as well .........................I know PC uncorrect I'll get my coat
Ah yes some may be crap at getting the muck on the walls but most are extremely good at covering your tools.lol

Lets be honest though, if you're colour blind, you shouldn't really be choosing a career in electrical installation. Same as you'll never see a midget window cleaner or an armless spread. Some people just can't do certain jobs, it sucks, but that's just the way it is.

NOT having any form of colour blindness, was a prerequisite for an electrical apprenticeship being offered by the company i did my training with. The medical we were given by one of the companies doctors and staff at it's medical centre, was over and above anything i have been subjected to before or since. (still have a copy of that medical too, ....somewhere!!) That even includes those medicals, for any of the oversea project visa's i've held... lol!!!

a
Has got to be the ridiculously low number of bona fide apprenticeships that are offered by the big to medium sized companies these days!! Which in essence has led to the rise of the fast track 17 day training centre course.

So my offering is, The fast track wanna-be electricians that are flooding the domestic and light commercial industry, which in turn are devaluing and de-skilling our once proud industry as a whole!!
anyone remember the raggy dolls.....with back to front....perhaps this is the future image of electricians...or Electrical Trainee...

images

I asked yonks ago on here if there were any colour blind electricians; got a good story, about a working spark, in response!
(and my entry to 'Stupid Question of the Day! :) )

aanyone remember the raggy dolls.....with back to front....perhaps this is the future image of electricians...or Electrical Trainee...

images

Way past my time i think!! ..All we had was ''Andy Pandy'', ''Bill & Ben'' the flower pot men, ''Wooden Top's'', ''Noddy'' and ''Watch with Mother''!!! Oh and ''Crackerjack'' for the slightly older kids, maybe Blue Peter too, not sure if that was of the same era as Crackerjack or not!! Funny how you can remember the silly things of childhood, but not where you left the car keys last night!!! lol!!

What about Magpie? Anyone remember that? There was a gadgie who's name I can't rememberon it who looked a bit like Brian May, probably couldn't play guitar as well though, and a fit woman also who's name escapes me

The introduction of single screw terminals for termination of tails in Consumer Units and T+E in >40A accessories.

which coupled with modern CU design means you end up replacing a 3036 board with two, two screw terminals between tails and circuit with up to 6 single screw terminals. No wonder CU fires are on the increase!

Reply to Backward Strides in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net