• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Bad Advice From A "Spark" ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
I would like an additional electric socket put in the bedroom to do away with the need for an extension cable.

Its not an urgent job and its something I have put off getting done due to the hassle factor of having to lift laminate and floor boards, not to mention emptying the bedroom of furniture to give a Spark access.

While chatting to a friend of a friend who is a self employed builder/spark/plumber, he suggested dropping a spur off the lighting circuit in the attic???? Surely that's a big no-no or is it allowed under certain circumstances?

The only reason I was chatting to this guy is that I have seen some of his work re laminated flooring and it was very good, and I was sounding him out for doing the flooring aspect of the job.. I was therefore a bit taken a back when he suggested dropping the feed down from above...

Also, how do you verify if a person is actually qualified as a Spark? Do they have to register with the local council or anything?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

That is an absolute no no and the guy is a dangerous cowboy! You do not feed a socket, which may be drawing up to 13A per socket (26A if it's a double) from a lighting circuit that is only rated to provide 6A!

The lighting circuit fuse/MCB rated at 6A would continually trip/blow; and the circuit is likely to be wired using 1.00mm or 1.5mm cable which can't safely carry the resultant current if it didn't.

He's a perfect example of 'any idiot can get a circuit to work, it takes knowledge to get it to work safely!' He should be told he's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, God only knows how many people have taken up his bad advice and now have a dangerous situation in their homes.

To ensure a person is qualified, make sure they are registered with either NAPIT, NICEIC, ECA or ELECSA and also look for them on the Competent Persons Register.

I suspect if he is a wizard at laying laminate flooring then he will find electrics a breeze! Self-employed builder/spark/plumber? How odd...surely someone would be dying to employ such a chap?
Seriously though, you know the answer to this, don't you?
Get a proper spark in, get the job done safely, and if you're lucky he might even reinstate your laminate!

That is an absolute no no and the guy is a dangerous cowboy! You do not feed a socket, which may be drawing up to 13A per socket (26A if it's a double) from a lighting circuit that is only rated to provide 6A!

The lighting circuit fuse/MCB rated at 6A would continually trip/blow; and the circuit is likely to be wired using 1.00mm or 1.5mm cable which can't safely carry the resultant current if it didn't.

He's a perfect example of 'any idiot can get a circuit to work, it takes knowledge to get it to work safely!' He should be told he's an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, God only knows how many people have taken up his bad advice and now have a dangerous situation in their homes.

To ensure a person is qualified, make sure they are registered with either NAPIT, NICEIC, ECA or ELECSA and also look for them on the Competent Persons Register.

I was fully expecting that answer but just wanted to make sure from a proper professional so to speak.

From my own limited knowledge, the proper solution is going to be either a spur off an existing power socket that's already in the bedroom or even better, extending the ring...Its one of those jobs that is going to be a lot of hassle just so the Mrs can have a TV in a certain place in the room !:rolleyes: It can go on the backburner until the room needs decorating again...

I was fully expecting that answer but just wanted to make sure from a proper professional so to speak.

From my own limited knowledge, the proper solution is going to be either a spur off an existing power socket that's already in the bedroom or even better, extending the ring...Its one of those jobs that is going to be a lot of hassle just so the Mrs can have a TV in a certain place in the room!:rolleyes:
sometimes there are alternative solutions to getting a cable from A to B without lifting laminate flooring etc. a decent spark would be able to advise having seen the situation.

sometimes there are alternative solutions to getting a cable from A to B without lifting laminate flooring etc. a decent spark would be able to advise having seen the situation.

Nearer the time, that's what I would do, but apart from using surface truncking which I don't really want, I think I am going to need to bite the bullet and get it done properly...Edit to add I am not 100% sure but the "obvious" sub floor cable route would mean the cable going through the joists rather than along them...If the joists were running the other way, you'd have a fighting chance of fishing the cable through...

The only other options that I can think of would be to run any cabling behind the skirting board, but that to me would be another bodge or replace the skirt with the fake skirting that is actually trunking...I;ve seen that stuff used in offices for low voltage wiring, but I have no idea if its permitted for mains wiring in a domestic property...Again, that's something I would need to discuss with an electrician and see what they suggest..

Last edited:
Nearer the time, that's what I would do, but apart from using surface truncking which I don't really want, I think I am going to need to bite the bullet and get it done properly...Edit to add I am not 100% sure but the "obvious" sub floor cable route would mean the cable going through the joists rather than along them...If the joists were running the other way, you'd have a fighting chance of fishing the cable through...

The only other options that I can think of would be to run any cabling behind the skirting board, but that to me would be another bodge or replace the skirt with the fake skirting that is actually trunking...I;ve seen that stuff used in offices for low voltage wiring, but I have no idea if its permitted for mains wiring in a domestic property...Again, that's something I would need to discuss with an electrician and see what they suggest..

Behind a skirting board is not a permitted zone for running cables for the very reason that people then nail the boards to the walls and can hit the cables. Also electric cables behind wood boards is a fire risk.

The trunking skirting is acceptable however.

Nonsense, this does not guarantee that someone is qualified or competent, there are far too many cowboys registered with these schemes.
Also many of us are qualified and experienced but not registered with those schemes.

While chatting to a friend of a friend who is a self employed builder/spark/plumber, he suggested dropping a spur off the lighting circuit in the attic???? Surely that's a big no-no or is it allowed under certain circumstances?

Hum............. jack of all, master of none!

Hum............. jack of all, master of none!
Reminds me of some of the builder/plumber/plasterer types who profess to be "OK with Electrics" as well, I'm OK with a bit of plastering ( as long as is ain't to large) can do a bit of building / plumbing as well, but no way would I consider myself as competent, let alone confident neither would I charge anyone, except for electrikery work.

Reply to Bad Advice From A "Spark" ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back