Discuss Bad experience having isolator switch fitted by Scottish Power/Actavo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I "recently" contacted my DNO to have an isolator switch fitted beside my meter (my consumer unit needs changing and I didn't want to pull the fuse). I was told I needed to contact Scottish Power who charged me £85 but failed to turn up for the appointment, resulting in me having to contact them to ask what had happened. A new appointment was arranged for 2 & a half weeks ahead (the same as if I had newly requested it).
This happened 4 times!!! The work was eventually done at the 5th attempt. Each time I got no confirmation of the appointment & I had to queue on the phone to inform them that nobody turned up & arrange a new appointment. The 5th occasion was slightly different in that the complaints team were to get back to me regarding a new appointment, but never did. It wasn't till I chased them I discovered an appointment had been booked (without checking with me as to whether I would be available)!
After the 2nd missed appointment I was advised that I was entitled to a £30 statutory payment, so of course I asked about the 1st and eventually got a payment for that also. So I have had 4 missed appointment payments plus another for a late payment. £150 in all.

It turns out that Scottish Power don't do the work themselves but sub-contract it to Actavo and the lines of communication between them are poor, involving more phone queueing & long waits. Actavo are more used to dealing with meters and the Engineer who came out had never fitted an Isolator switch to an existing installation before and didn't know what to do (I gathered he wasn't actually an Electrician). He spoke to his boss on the phone who told him he couldn't do the job, but was overridden by the next person up the line who said of course they could do it. Someone had to talk him through what to do after he sent them a photo of the setup, but when he sent them another photo after he had finished, was told to change it.
I should also mention I had offered to de-load the consumer unit for the "engineer" when he was ready, but he just came in & turned it off at the main switch without de-loading first.

I booked the work in August and it was completed towards the end of November. So if you need an Isolator switch order it well in advance! Also when you are queueing on the phone to Scottish Power you are told you can track complaints online, but the complaint tracker page never had any information that was remotely useful over the whole period so don't rely on this.

The moral of the story seems to be that although the regulations say you shouldn't pull the fuse, the operators are not at all geared up to fit isolator switches and on this showing I wouldn't rely on them turning up on the day you want to do the work to pull the fuse either.

I do wonder if the Actavo "Engineers" had been avoiding my job as they didn't know how to do it.

I'm sorry to hear this, its a total nightmare from your perspective. From what you've said I'd also be checking the tightness of any new connections they've made.
In my humble opinion ... claim back all the money you can and submit a written complaint about inconvenience and delay. I'm not sure how they can possibly think this is anywhere near the ballpark of acceptable service. But nothing will change till there are sufficient costs and complaints.

Client of mine requested Scottish power to fit an isolator so we could change the board. Nobody turned up on the day and chasing up SP they said they no longer fitted isolators...
So OP posting disappointing but not surprising....

next time get your customer to arrange it for isolator to be put in .if not pull the bl**dy fuse. the last time I changed the consumer unit
the suppler turned up to pull the fuse he put on his bomb proof suit to pull the fuse .what!

I saw Western Power fit an isolator - as you say he put on his bomb-proof suit and helmet to carry out the work...Consumer Unit wasn't even fitted so no load whatsoever... He wasn't a qualified electrician either!

I just gotta get myself into this "fit an isolator" malarky
It might just be age that makes me different to you modern breed

If I was approached,the isolator would be fitted,the job would be cheaper than those engineer people, and no worrying about broken seals,they can stay intact :)

It does amaze me that electricians actually pay to have these fitted by someone else :confused:

..These so called engineers yet we rely on them to make connections we can't see or check to see .....
...Passing some current , and a FLIR ?
-- or feel for heat with cautious back of hand..eeek

This is brought about by "LEGAL" requirements .
Insurance liability rules ..... (protecting Job as well)
(and a poor grasp of implications of SAID -Rules )
... It was saving them money -"That way" ...I imagine ....

I phoned eon yesterday and told them that I had an installation that needed urgent work and I needed the supply isolated prior to the 4th December, they said they couldn't do it until the new year but if the house owner called they may be able sort something out. I told them that if they didn't turn up prior to me attending I would pull the fuse to comply with the electricity at work regulations. My customer then called them and they said to him that if your electrician feels it necessary to pull the fuse then tell him to go ahead and do it!?:)

I saw Western Power fit an isolator - as you say he put on his bomb-proof suit and helmet to carry out the work...Consumer Unit wasn't even fitted so no load whatsoever... He wasn't a qualified electrician either!
The majority of dno staff are not 'qualified electricians', why would they be? Western Power want staff knowledgeable about the network, their responsibility ceases at the cutout.
They do a lot of work live, they are only putting on the safety equipment they are obliged to wear. Saves getting injured and/or sacked

I phoned eon yesterday and told them that I had an installation that needed urgent work and I needed the supply isolated prior to the 4th December, they said they couldn't do it until the new year but if the house owner called they may be able sort something out. I told them that if they didn't turn up prior to me attending I would pull the fuse to comply with the electricity at work regulations. My customer then called them and they said to him that if your electrician feels it necessary to pull the fuse then tell him to go ahead and do it!?:)
I fully agree with that their apparent waiting times are ridiculous I would be removing it if they couldn't make the appointment especially when it's 2 weeks away. How can they possibly spare one of their goons for 5 minutes to remove a fuse. Takes him longer to put on his protective professional fuse pulling gear

Reply to Bad experience having isolator switch fitted by Scottish Power/Actavo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net