Discuss Bad experience having isolator switch fitted by Scottish Power/Actavo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's ok making fun of dno and supply operatives using ppe, but remember you are quite possibly on a circuit controlled by a 400 or 500 amp fuse. I worked for dno, all clothing is arc resistant, code of practice states that when working on live circuits you wear full boiler suit, full gace mask, rubber gauntlets with leather over gauntlets. Now I admit on most cut-outs in good condition you didn't do this, but any signs of damage or distress to switch gear you certainly did. It's a hell of a bang and a flash if it does fault! In LV sub stations it was a sackable offence not to wear full ppe, lots of bare 3 phase bus-bars etc. Actually, if the cut-out or meter seals were missing we would look for any other signs of illegal interference and if non found ignore it.

With the new generation (2) of smart meters being installed, that can be transferred between suppliers it would have been a good idea to have the self-connect isolator on the meter as I have come across with E-ON I think.

Smart meters with isolators would have been a good idea, and they were included in the earlier designs but the idea was scrapped because it added an 'unnecessary' cost.

Reply to Bad experience having isolator switch fitted by Scottish Power/Actavo in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there, Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! (Note, this is not a DIY, I'm using a fully qualified electrician, just posting here...
Replies
Views
If there isn't a 2-pole isolator there already, I usually get the client to arrange to get one fitted before I do a board change, either through...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views
Bit of a rant first to explain the situation:- Effing builders again, I knew there was a reason we hardly ever work for them. We've done a few...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have just found out that a family member who is having some Building work done has been advised to insulate above the Kitchen...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock