Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Bakelite switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Tanzy

Tanzy Guest

Hello all,

Might be a silly question. But i had to give a quote for a re-wire. The owner wants to keep the original bakelite switches and i can't find any where (bs 7671 or part 'P' doc's) if i can re-wire the switches and re use them. If any one has come across this before the help would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks
    Michael

2. JASON

JASON Electrician's Arms

Unless they need a tool to remove the cover, then they dont conform to current regs (i think!)

3. SYKRAPS

SYKRAPS Regular EF Member

What about pendants they don't need a tool..............you may be right because of the reach required but just putting across a point for debate

4. JASON

JASON Electrician's Arms

Good point, but the terminals in a pendant cant be touched with your fingers.

5. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Guest

I wonder if your proposed client will pay you by pounds, shillings and pence?

Each to there own i suppose but i think they look awful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Guest111

Guest111 Guest

true,but what about the lampholder?

7. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

The old rocker switches are now changing hands for up to £40 as many buildings have them for the periodic appeal whether they comply or not even i havent entertained the idea.

8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or you can buy reproduction ones that comply with current regs. google periodic switches. TLC do metal ones, not sure about bakelite.

9. lauriehurman

lauriehurman Guest

Hi Michael
    Initial verification
    must comply with BS EN

10. Doug

Doug Regular EF Member

I'd say that if the fittings are in good condition then it could be acceptable to retain them. You may find though that some are cracked and badly discoloured, with tiny terminals and multicoloured paint around the edges. Also imperial threads and switches with wooden backboxes. With old pendants I've sometimes cleaned the cover of the rose and replaced the cord and lampholder.

As per telectrix, old fashioned looking fittings are still made though suited to customers with large budgets.

All new gear sold has to be CE approved and meet British Standards but I don't think this applies retrospectively. If it did then listed buildings would need bulldozing.

The current 'Wiring Matters' has an article encouraging retention of period fittings in historic buildings.

• Like Like x 2
  11. decolad69

decolad69 Guest

The National Trust retain original light switches when they have a property rewired, they also install sockets on the skirting boards. Are the exempt from regs?

decolad

12. Fin170

Fin170 Electrician's Arms

Nation trust buildings are not usually new builds :lol:

I try and save the Bakelite stuff If I can but it's usually too badly damaged or paint wrecked (lead paint as well maybe?). Still looking out for a glass fronted ancient fuse box and mahogany back board as well

13. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    sockets on skitring boards in an existing building are OK as long as there is enough clearance from the floor so that the flexes in the plugs are not subject to stress by bending.

14. Graeme Harrold

Graeme Harrold Electrician's Arms

If the client insists and the switches are still in good condition, put it down on the cert as a departure from the regs. At the end of the day they are guidelines on how to comply.... not law....

15. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

The only danger from the old Bakelite switches are the ones with a brass retaining ring for the cover. And with a bit of nouse these can be earthed.