Discuss Bakelite switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tanzy

Hello all,

Might be a silly question. But i had to give a quote for a re-wire. The owner wants to keep the original bakelite switches and i can't find any where (bs 7671 or part 'P' doc's) if i can re-wire the switches and re use them. If any one has come across this before the help would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks
Michael

Unless they need a tool to remove the cover, then they dont conform to current regs (i think!)

What about pendants they don't need a tool..............you may be right because of the reach required but just putting across a point for debate

The old rocker switches are now changing hands for up to £40 as many buildings have them for the periodic appeal whether they comply or not even i havent entertained the idea.

or you can buy reproduction ones that comply with current regs. google periodic switches. TLC do metal ones, not sure about bakelite.

I'd say that if the fittings are in good condition then it could be acceptable to retain them. You may find though that some are cracked and badly discoloured, with tiny terminals and multicoloured paint around the edges. Also imperial threads and switches with wooden backboxes. With old pendants I've sometimes cleaned the cover of the rose and replaced the cord and lampholder.

As per telectrix, old fashioned looking fittings are still made though suited to customers with large budgets.

All new gear sold has to be CE approved and meet British Standards but I don't think this applies retrospectively. If it did then listed buildings would need bulldozing.

The current 'Wiring Matters' has an article encouraging retention of period fittings in historic buildings.

The National Trust retain original light switches when they have a property rewired, they also install sockets on the skirting boards. Are the exempt from regs?

decolad

The National Trust retain original light switches when they have a property rewired, they also install sockets on the skirting boards. Are the exempt from regs?

decolad

Nation trust buildings are not usually new builds :lol:

I try and save the Bakelite stuff If I can but it's usually too badly damaged or paint wrecked (lead paint as well maybe?). Still looking out for a glass fronted ancient fuse box and mahogany back board as well

decolad

sockets on skitring boards in an existing building are OK as long as there is enough clearance from the floor so that the flexes in the plugs are not subject to stress by bending.

If the client insists and the switches are still in good condition, put it down on the cert as a departure from the regs. At the end of the day they are guidelines on how to comply.... not law....

The only danger from the old Bakelite switches are the ones with a brass retaining ring for the cover. And with a bit of nouse these can be earthed.

this is a rewire not a new installation so there for i see no reason the old fittings cant be reused anyway ? if you are only replacing the wires and as already said nothing damaged about them your fine if you were replacing wires rats had chewed would you insist on new fittings ?

Ay up tanzy just read your thread on baker light switches hope the job went well i have a little job on the same anything i need to look out for i managed to get some switches from Bangkok genuine new a bit pricey but nice.

Reply to Bakelite switches in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock