Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Band I & II Disturbances in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. hightower

hightower Guest

Installed a socket outlet for a wall mounted TV a week or so ago. Cable chased in to wall and installed alongside data, coax, and HDMI cables. Data/HDMI/Coax separated from power by about 10cm. All works perfectly, but now she's emailed to say the TV says "Wired connection lost" (as in the data connection) whenever she uses her iron.

I've replied to ask her if it's only the iron that causes this, and my money is on the iron being goosed but just wondering if anyone has a possible explanation for this?

2. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

Ask her to try a different appliance in the same socket and the iron in a different socket.

Unless she's trying to run the iron off the Cat5 the iron seems to be the logical assumption.

3. hightower

hightower Guest

I'm just trying to figure out how the iron would cause the data to wobble. There are Powerline adapters in the house - perhaps that comes in to play with a duff iron?

• Like Like x 1
  4. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

It may be the current drawn on the circuit when the iron is in use. I had an issue when using a long hdmi cable, the signal was lost when a higher current appliance was plugged in. Converting the circuit from a ring to a radial solved it. I suppose it was the EMF causing interference.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hightower

hightower Guest

It already is a radial (was a ring, had to split it because of a neutral fault) so that idea is out.

6. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    I know I should trust what Customer has said, but my thought is the hdmi cable is playing up and it's actually not related to current draw. I have had hdmi with wonky connector. Perhaps ask if problem immediately goes when iron is unplugged?

Edit : just reread OP and noted that it's the data con. Now wondering if modem is losing plot. Like me from time to time.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. hightower

hightower Guest

I'm suspecting powerline adaptor is introducing fluctuations in the data when iron is used. She's since come back and said it seems to be only when the steam button is pressed on the iron

• Like Like x 1
  8. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Does the data cable go direct to the modem or is it just connected to a powerline adaptor? (I'm assuming it one of those wifi extenders that takes the signal through the power circuits?)