Discuss Bang! Large flash / bang at voltmeter tips. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tasty

Hi all,

Just had quite a fright & must say I'm pretty annoyed with myself.

I've just tested the ends of a wire to check if it was live (using a fluke voltmeter) and had a massive flash and bang at the points of the probes). I'm annoyed because I should have isolated the circuit and terminated the wire in a block rather than testing wire as it was found (it was left as you'd find twin and earth if had just been cut, not stripped).

Could you guys help me with what the bang was so I can learn properly from this mistake? (I'd have said it was the very loose contact I had between probes and wires but I'd appreciate any thoughts and correction on this). The rcd and mcb blew but everything seems ok now. I've isolated the wire at the switched fused spur unit the cable leads to & will fully isolate before terminating the wire properly now.

Thanks in advance,

Stu

shorted out with your probes

Testing into the end of a cleanly cut cable isn't safe, the wires are too close together and can be easily shorted by a meter probe. The fright is all part of the learning curve, it helps you remember in future to isolate all the power if necessary, strip the cable back and put it in a connector block so you can then identify the circuit. Luckily you're still around to tell the tale and hopefully it's just cost you a set of tester probes and no more.

Thanks all, so would I be correct in thinking that properly terminating the wire in a terminal block whilst dead would have stopped this happening?

Cheers

oops, just read the post before, thanks for that - yeah, I feel very lucky and will definitely take a lot more care in future before doing this, being in a rush was no excuse.

Much appreciated guys!

as long as you don't set the meter on AMPS !!!

Next time I encounter a 11kv domestic supply i'll let you know how it goes.

Seriously though, you're right, I should have known better. Consider my wrist firmly slapped.

If you look at your probe tips is there a little bit melted or blackened?? All you will have done is shorted between 2 of the wires causing a short circuit and the MCB blew due to overload, the RCD blowing as well sounds like one of the wires you shorted across was the earth. Bloody 11kv sounds frightening. I have seen splash from a colleague shorting across 2 phases at 400v and that was impressive (in a bad way).

Yeah one probe is black and the live wire in the T&E had a little metal 'blob' on it.

In a way i'm glad i've experienced it now, it really hits home all the health & safety lessons when a fault happens right in front of you!

We all learn as we go along in life.
Sometimes the lesson hurts.
You’re not the first and I doubt you’ll be the last.
You’ll not fall for it again though will you!

I’m lucky I walked away from a 15KV 150VA to earth shock!
To be honest I limped away! I was blown flat on my back. It ******* hurt! What saved me was a timber floor and a set of timber step ladders!
To hell with rubber mats they’re only good to 1KV

Last edited by a moderator:
Its happened to the best of us as Tony has testified, and i am no different. fortunately i have never experienced a shock at any sort of KV, and i bet there aren't many who have lived to tell the tale when they have.

I have not had an electric shock now for nearly 2 years. Its easy to avoid. Dont assume its dead, make sure it is dead. Treat every cable as though it is live until you know it isnt. Its not hard to do, we just get lazy and complacent, so dont feel bad about it. The main thing is that you have learn't a valuable lesson.

Cheers...Howard

Reply to Bang! Large flash / bang at voltmeter tips. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock