Discuss Barn installation needed 2x4kw on same roof ? asbesto in Sussex area need some quotes in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

exon16m

barn roof opening height 3m.
Corrugated cement roof ? asbestos not sure how to tell lets assume it is at moment.
4kw installation needed with tier A setup

have two separate meters at address one for annex and one for main house so have been advised could get two installs.

Have a quote of about £6k inc vat (+ scaffolding) per install.

Can anyone match/better this?

Re: Barn installation needed 2x4kw on same roof ? asbesto in Sussex area need some qu

6k?? They can do my installs for that

Re: Barn installation needed 2x4kw on same roof ? asbesto in Sussex area need some qu

Does that include asbestos check and drilling?
Does that include a structural survey?
How far is the barn from the supply?

Fitting onto a commercial roof is very different to installing on a domestic roof, also with the cost of cable, it is important to calculate this correctly, barns are normally quite a distance from supply, and I am aware that some do it but to string a length of 2.5 or 4mm cable over a distance just causes problems, and then they blame the DNO for over voltage.

Have you thought of installing these as a commercial project?
There are many benefits if you have the correct advice.

Sorry, but I would not entertain installing 2x4KW systems for 6K each including VAT on a barn roof, but I could install 2x4KWP systems properly.

what is the benefit of a commercial installation? roof is 22.5m x 6-7m to apex perfect south face and 20 degree slope

Barn has power and beaker inside that link back to house

I really do not mean to sound rude, but without a site survey it would be impossible to price, especially if you are looking at spending 6K per system.

The link back to the house would probably not be suitable for a PV installation, and you certainly could not run 2 systems down 1 cable, if you see what I mean.

Where are you in Sussex?

We cover that area and as part of a large roofing company would always recommend an overclad with that sort of roof unless you don't mind the odd leak in a few years time? either way you need to have the inside either netted or bagged before anyone sets foot on the roof. AC runs to barns are rarely man enough for pv systems unless they were installed with machinery in mind. 2 meters is not enough to get 2 higher tarifs, they need to be addressed differently, although its a light grey area if you phone ofgem!

are they? still after taking out the ebay fees they be fitting it for nowt!

much above that the finances dont make the investment pay with the new FIT.

What would you quote?

It depends on a lot of factors.

The structure and condition of the roof, the asbestos survey, the height of the building, the cable supplying the buildings, the use of the building (for reasons of working safely with asbestos) etc.

Installing on a corrugated cement roof is very, very time consuming and extra safety measures are required - especially so if the roof is found to have asbestos content.

Are you planning on installing two systems at the 21p per kWh FiT rate? If so, I very much doubt that you'll get the full rate for both systems.

Ok, there are lots of ifs here, but using the SAP formula for a 4KWP system, if you have the perfect roof, if you have the perfect orientation, and if your system produces the amount calculated by SAP (although they can be 20% over depending on location in the UK, quality of install etc)
For a system cost of £8400 total, would save you £997.46, (Fit payment@21p, 50% deemed export, and 50% generated saved from your electricity bill @13p per unit)
Which gives you a return in year 1 of 11.9% index linked and tax free.

Of course that is for the perfect roof, which many are not.
Many people throughout the UK are seeing these types of returns, some are even better, but others do not believe it is possible.
So there you have it
I hope this helps.

what age is the corrugated cement roof?

after 1999 and it would have been illegal for it to have been asbestos, fairly unlikely post 93.

If it's not asbestos then the main issue for me would become whether the roof was classed as a fragile surface or not - some corrogated fibreboard roofs aren't, many should be. If it is then it's going to need protective measures for the staff working on it such as nets. If it's not, then it shouldn't be more expensive than domestic really unless the electrics supply needs serious upgrading (which it often would, and could add hundreds or low thousands to the cost depending on distance and difficulty of digging the cable in).

If it's not asbestos then the main issue for me would become whether the roof was classed as a fragile surface or not - some corrogated fibreboard roofs aren't, many should be. If it is then it's going to need protective measures for the staff working on it such as nets. If it's not, then it shouldn't be more expensive than domestic really unless the electrics supply needs serious upgrading (which it often would, and could add hundreds or low thousands to the cost depending on distance and difficulty of digging the cable in).

I'd always assumed that they all are?

Reply to Barn installation needed 2x4kw on same roof ? asbesto in Sussex area need some quotes in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock