Discuss Basic CCU Installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Only1harden

Hi, Can you help me with the neutral arrangement an a CCU?

I've just finishing a level 2, done a 17th, and got a part p next week, getting stuck right in but as you know its all legislation and frustratingly little actual wiring!!!!!!!! So im trying to educate myself on the side.

The supply seems pretty straight forward. (line in to main switch which feeds RCDS, which in turn feeds 2 busbars, which feed the MCBS.)

But the separate neutral bars, 2 neutrals from 1 RCD, ect..... Im lost.

or perhaps if anyone knows any good books or websites for circuits more advanced than an obsolete baton lamp holder on a 1x1 meter board!!!!

Any help much appreciated.

(Will work for free to get the knowledge!)

Hi only,
Not sure why you have two neutrals from 1 RCD.
All consumer units that i have recently installed come with a diagram on how to configure the board for different scenarios.
The usual set up (high integrity) is a main switch where you would connect you meter tails or submain etc to the incoming side.
The neutral on the outgoing (likely to be prewired from factory), will go to a neutral bar, this neutral bar will then have two other neutrals
that feed two RCDs, the outgoing neutrals will feed two separate neutral bars, these two RCDs have a live from the main switch which will be typically linked.
So on this set up u will have 3 neutral bars. 1 for unprotected RCD circuits and 2 others for the RCD protected circuits.
This set up is for the high integrity type, there are other variants.
Have a look at this PDF there are some diagrams with typical setups.

http://www.denmans.co.uk/downloads_public/17th_mk.pdf

Keep in mind how an RCD works, this is why you need 2 neutral bars when you have two RCDs.

Im lost from your explanation.

What's wrong with 2 neutral bars...how can they be 2 neutrals from the one RCD?

One neutral bar is for one RCD, and the other is for the other. Don't mix the neutrals up or your RCDS will never stop in.

Post a picture, that may be a help...

basics. RCD1 outgoing N feeds N bar 1. this is the N bar for the MCBs connected to RCD1. for RCD2, as 1, but substitute 2 for 1. other than that, fit box with the writing on the RCDs right way up.

This is the trouble with the trade, you're lost on this, how on earth can you be let loose on the public after the part P scam thing. I hope you are working for a company then at least you can ask someone at work.
Hi, Can you help me with the neutral arrangement an a CCU?

I've just finishing a level 2, done a 17th, and got a part p next week, getting stuck right in but as you know its all legislation and frustratingly little actual wiring!!!!!!!! So im trying to educate myself on the side.

The supply seems pretty straight forward. (line in to main switch which feeds RCDS, which in turn feeds 2 busbars, which feed the MCBS.)

But the separate neutral bars, 2 neutrals from 1 RCD, ect..... Im lost.

or perhaps if anyone knows any good books or websites for circuits more advanced than an obsolete baton lamp holder on a 1x1 meter board!!!!

Any help much appreciated.

(Will work for free to get the knowledge!)

This is the trouble with the trade, you're lost on this, how on earth can you be let loose on the public after the part P scam thing. I hope you are working for a company then at least you can ask someone at work.

Agree that too many are "learning" on the general public. Makes me so sad when I see what some householders have paid good money for.

I am hoping this is another wind up. Surely 17th edition means you understand how to wire a consumer unit up? Doesn`t it?

If you dont know, then you have one hell of a lot to learn before you get let loose on a unsuspecting public.

Go easy on him guys, he's only asking and trying to learn. Where has he said he's doing a job for anyone anyway? Daz

Go easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he's said "I've just finishing a level 2, done a 17th, and got a part p next week, getting stuck right in but as you know its all legislation and frustratingly little actual wiring!!!!!!!! So im trying to educate myself on the side." Does that mean after next week hey presto another spark lol

QUOTE=DPG;751489]Go easy on him guys, he's only asking and trying to learn. Where has he said he's doing a job for anyone anyway? Daz[/QUOTE]

I would like to think that he will have common sense enough to realise he is on the first rung of a very long ladder

Unfortunately, there must be many who start this climb and are told, and they believe, that the first rung is the top tread

split rcd.jpg

To OP Google is a great tool for information, search for split rcd board and this was one of many examples (search images and search engine) So a picture is easier for you to understand, follow the blue wires and you will see how it all works.

Good luck with your studies.

I am hoping this is another wind up. Surely 17th edition means you understand how to wire a consumer unit up? Doesn`t it?

If you dont know, then you have one hell of a lot to learn before you get let loose on a unsuspecting public.

Well IMO C&G 2382 (17th edition) demonstrates your ability to navigate the regs, by finding the information asked for on the multi choice exam paper. This would not be the case if the exam was a closed book exam. Btw I'm not suggesting it should be but merely pointing out that just because you hold that exam qualification doesn't necessarily mean you're an expert.

- - - Updated -

once you start talking about imballance..one of these comes out:
No no no, this is an imballance, isn't it?

ambulance_tenyas_credit.jpg

Reply to Basic CCU Installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net