Discuss Basic FCU wiring question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

It’s not the position it’s what goes in it.
It’s got to go on to the hard side of a cupboard and not the flimsy back of the unit and most of the time will be on a surface mounted box.
Seen a few sockets smashed and the moulded plugs being put under strain/pressure because of overloaded cupboards.
How many times does the socket or plug require to be reached behind an appliance?
Usually when it’s renewed for another new appliance.
Not saying it’s poor practice just that saying a socket should never be behind an appliance is ludicrous.

Doesn't the Building Regs require them to be fitted to the fabric of the building and not kitchen cabinets.

Doesn't the Building Regs require them to be fitted to the fabric of the building and not kitchen cabinets.

I suppose that's another thing that could be interpreted in different ways, you could argue that a rigid base unit forming part of a permanent fixed kitchen is a part of the building fabric - if you have an island unit with the need for sockets or oven/hob supply you have no other option anyway. :)

I have had this discussion,and the accepted reasoning,is that a permanently installed set of cabinets,are part of the fabric.

This alters,if they are the free-standing Habitat type of kitchen furniture,but then who would spend £15,000 on these,to find out the property is not mortgage worthy,due to having a "temporary,kitchen design" :)

Socket outlets,switching and many electrical accessories,are mounted in similar situations,such as built in wardrobes,closets,false walls and ceilings,where the position,material and methods are exactly the same as with kitchen units.

Obviously,the fitting of these requires care,design and appropriate methods...and thereby lies the rub...

Lets hope SWD doesn't post a pic up for the above as well... It may be a bit different.....

Obviously,the fitting of these requires care,design and appropriate methods...and thereby lies the rub.

this may behelpful:

View attachment 41458

Aaahh Ha! I grant you three wishes!...

My first wish,is for another electrician,to come,hack out this mess,and design and fit a useful and compliant replacement...

My second wish,is for the plasterer to come back,and make another nice job of it,so i can ring up the kitchen fitter,again...

My third and final wish,is that the kitchen fitter,has a sudden and unexplained,gross swelling of his gonads,whenever he is within 2 meters of anything made of chipboard...;)

Reply to Basic FCU wiring question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net