Discuss Basic insulation _______ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Louicardist23

Is double insulation cable necessary such as twin and earth if under automatic disconnection of supply it states that basic protection can be achieved by basic insulation only.
Thanks

strange question.T/E is not double insulation.it is insulated and sheathed.

I think you are referring to double or reinforced insulation which is a means of both basic and fault protection. T/E cable is not classed as double or reinforced insulation.

Is double insulation cable necessary such as twin and earth if under automatic disconnection of supply it states that basic protection can be achieved by basic insulation only.
Thanks
No such Animal as Double insulated cable Mate, it's classed as insulated with a mechanical protective sheath.

The reason why T&E is not deemed as double insulated, is because there is only one layer of insulation between the CPC and anything else.
Insulated and sheathed singles are deemed as being double insulated.

No such Animal as Double insulated cable Mate, it's classed as insulated with a mechanical protective sheath.
It does not carry the Double insulated icon, ergo it's not double insulated.

The reason why T&E is not deemed as double insulated, is because there is only one layer of insulation between the CPC and anything else.
Insulated and sheathed singles are deemed as being double insulated.
Ok just to get this straight, Are you saying then that theoretically an installation could be wiring in insulated sheathed singles (double insulated) without the use of ADOS?
Thanks again

Take photos to share with us as you do it and also share the cost of the install. Nice one.
Ok just to get this straight, Are you saying then that theoretically an installation could be wiring in insulated sheathed singles (double insulated) without the use of ADOS?
Thanks again

theoretically an installation could be wiring in insulated sheathed singles (double insulated) without the use of ADOS
singles are insulated and sheathed not double insulated, but even if they were you would need some means of protection from electric shock through faults at the terminations/accessories, not just the wiring itself. you would also need to run a CPC to all points in or with the wiring system as well.

I recall basic protection being something to do with college work, like all fuse boards being boxed in being basic protection Vs mechanical protection (maybe) the locks on the fuse boards themselves to try and prevent accident, injury or death from people meddling with the things inside. I think PPE was classed as part of basic protection as well, I'm sure some genius can remind me what I'm rambling on about.

I recall basic protection being something to do with college work, like all fuse boards being boxed in being basic protection Vs mechanical protection (maybe) the locks on the fuse boards themselves to try and prevent accident, injury or death from people meddling with the things inside. I think PPE was classed as part of basic protection as well, I'm sure some genius can remind me what I'm rambling on about.
IGave you an optimistic but I'll give it a go! Basic protection in bs7671 is the primary insulation or other protection against live parts contacting anything else including yourself.
True that 1000V gloves could perform that task, but it's not really part of the installation so I'm not sure it counts in the letter of the law

Reply to Basic insulation _______ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock