Discuss Basic lighting controls question. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mhmd_01

hi this is my first post :)

Before i ask the question i would like to point out that i am just a kid so dont go onto really techie stuff with me.

well my question is that i have bought 2 dimmes, 1 double and 1 single, meant to go on a ceiling + wall candle bulb lights (double) and a fluorescent wall light (single). So they tell me they cant put the dimer on the fluorescent because of some transistor thingy. They have put a normal switch there instead, they have also put a normal switch for the ceiling light so that now has a dimmer and switch controlling it. So now i go and tell him to replace the normal switch for the ceiling light with the spare dimmer and he goes that you have to have a normal switch on one side, and you can only have 1 dimmer. Is this true? Sorry if i confused you, i often do that to people :(

hi,
i think you must have 2 way switching for the ceiling light ,if so ,then yes one of them will be a normal switch,the light will still dim ok,
atvbitwww

oh and ,no you cant put a dimmer on the flouresent

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, i thought he was just lying. :)

so can i put it on a different ceiling light that only has one switch, replace that?

yes ,if its a one way switch doing the light ,just swop it ,if its 2 way one of them has to be a normal swich and the other a dimmer.
so unless ive compleatly missunderstood what your on about ,dont see any problems
atvbitwww

hi,
i think you must have 2 way switching for the ceiling light ,if so ,then yes one of them will be a normal switch,the light will still dim ok,
atvbitwww

oh and ,no you cant put a dimmer on the flouresent

Depends upon type of ballast used as you can know get HF digital ballast which you can use with a dimmer switch.:rolleyes:

i stand corrected,have you got an h.f digital ballast which you can use with a dimmer swicth ,if not either get one or dont put the flouresent on a dimmer,
astvbitwww

yeah well, ilooked through its fitting instructions and it says to not use a dimmer, bummer

theres no reason to call Rumrunner a bummer, he was only trying to help:p

just because you dont have an HF digital ballast theres no reason to question someones sexuallity

even if it is Rumrunner;)

theres no reason to call Rumrunner a bummer, he was only trying to help:p

just because you dont have an HF digital ballast theres no reason to question someones sexuallity

even if it is Rumrunner;)

fpmsl.............................:D:D:D:D

i would tend to call out an electrician. there is too many of these stupid posts on here when people are trying to do a qualified job themselves.

Hi all,
This whole thing about h.f digital ballasts,is very interesting ,bit of an overkill for a domestic property maybee,but for commercial or offices etc ,i think they will become common place before to long ,technollogy is moving so fast now ,i am a dinosaw as far as technollogy is concerned and had never even heard about h.f digital ballasts before ian corrected my post yesterday ,so allthough the original question was from a non sparky ,it helped me ,big time .
tap "h.f digital ballasts for flouresent lighting" into google ,this whole subject is facinating and gives us an insight to which way the trade is going
atvbitwww:)

Hi all,
This whole thing about h.f digital ballasts,is very interesting ,bit of an overkill for a domestic property maybee,but for commercial or offices etc ,i think they will become common place before to long ,technollogy is moving so fast now ,i am a dinosaw as far as technollogy is concerned and had never even heard about h.f digital ballasts before ian corrected my post yesterday ,so allthough the original question was from a non sparky ,it helped me ,big time .
tap "h.f digital ballasts for flouresent lighting" into google ,this whole subject is facinating and gives us an insight to which way the trade is going
atvbitwww:)

bummer

What? you thought... Haha i didnt even know what that means! i just read bummer on other forums and thought it means like "aww crap!" ha ha sorry

Reply to Basic lighting controls question. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock