Discuss Basic stuff for basic blondes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sarz11

Hey just wondering if anyone has got any nice simple examples in the form of questions that you can offer in regards to working out earth continuity. These formulaes are driving me insane and i need more things to look at. Il ask my tutor too but u lot know a bit so thought id see hehe. Im thinking bout dying my hair see if this helps that or the electric cable rnd the neck. Hehe no really just some things i can look at and try work out in my pretty little head coz its alright learning but iv got no one to show me at min and i need to be pro active. Ok rant over. BE NICE AND SIMPLE BASIC VIRGIN ALERT thanks. Obv im working too so il be checking and looking when can if ppl reply

thanks

Sar x

hey just wondering if anyone has got any nice simple examples in the form of questions that you can offer in regards to working out earth continuity. These formulaes are driving me insane and i need more things to look at. Il ask my tutor too but u lot know a bit so thought id see hehe. Im thinking bout dying my hair see if this helps that or the electric cable rnd the neck. Hehe no really just some things i can look at and try work out in my pretty little head coz its alright learning but iv got no one to show me at min and i need to be pro active. Ok rant over. Be nice and simple basic virgin alert thanks. Obv im working too so il be checking and looking when can if ppl reply

thanks

sar x

gooooooood morning!!!!!

Hey just wondering if anyone has got any nice simple examples in the form of questions that you can offer in regards to working out earth continuity. These formulaes are driving me insane and i need more things to look at. Il ask my tutor too but u lot know a bit so thought id see hehe. Im thinking bout dying my hair see if this helps that or the electric cable rnd the neck. Hehe no really just some things i can look at and try work out in my pretty little head coz its alright learning but iv got no one to show me at min and i need to be pro active. Ok rant over. BE NICE AND SIMPLE BASIC VIRGIN ALERT thanks. Obv im working too so il be checking and looking when can if
thanks

Sar x

I meant cpc continuity sorry blonde moment

Sarz do you mean you want to know how to test a circuit for cpc continuity???

Thats what im looking at silly. Working it out like one example is if the line was measured at 0.21 and the line to neutral reading waa 0.16 just calculating what id had to do. Now i dont know if this makes sense haha

Sarz have you got the green onsite guide yet???
Its just on page 93 gives quite a good explanation on cpc continuity and end to end resistances rather than me trying to explain. Im rubbish at explaining!!
But in a twin and earth cable the cpc is smaller therefore has a higher resistance without getting to technical about it!!

Sarz have you got the green onsite guide yet???
Its just on page 93 gives quite a good explanation on cpc continuity and end to end resistances rather than me trying to explain. Im rubbish at explaining!!
But in a twin and earth cable the cpc is smaller therefore has a higher resistance without getting to technical about it!!

I know that silly. Its being technical with me and hurting my brain. Um im not sure got so much im trying to look through at sum point but il have a look :0)

Hey just wondering if anyone has got any nice simple examples in the form of questions that you can offer in regards to working out earth continuity. These formulaes are driving me insane and i need more things to look at. Il ask my tutor too but u lot know a bit so thought id see hehe. Im thinking bout dying my hair see if this helps that or the electric cable rnd the neck. Hehe no really just some things i can look at and try work out in my pretty little head coz its alright learning but iv got no one to show me at min and i need to be pro active. Ok rant over. BE NICE AND SIMPLE BASIC VIRGIN ALERT thanks. Obv im working too so il be checking and looking when can if ppl reply

thanks

Sar x
buy a book about testing, that will be a good start.

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 321
What formulas you using? Are you talking about milli ohm / metre or testing for continuity?

R u helpful?! um its all of them together so working out combined resistances of the line conductor and cpc then the line plus neutral then dividing that by 2 which would equal the resistance of the line? Then u subtract the first reading and that will b the resistance of that cpc. So they write it as (R1 + R2) - R1 = R2. Does this make sense. Im goin to bed i just wanted some examples so could work out and make sure iv got it! Its not the formulae its making sure i understand how its worked out

R u helpful?! um its all of them together so working out combined resistances of the line conductor and cpc then the line plus neutral then dividing that by 2 which would equal the resistance of the line? Then u subtract the first reading and that will b the resistance of that cpc. So they write it as (R1 + R2) - R1 = R2. Does this make sense. Im goin to bed i just wanted some examples so could work out and make sure iv got it! Its not the formulae its making sure i understand how its done

Sarz try a site called swindon massive. Theres lots of formula questions etc on there.
Dont know if it still exists but worth a shot!

I hope my posts are helpful or I'm wasting my time! Which isn't the first and won't be the last.

I believe you are correct assuming equal sized conductors. In twin and earth you will not have equal size conductors. Do you have access to the on site guide? Or have you been given any info on milli ohm per metre figures? It will be fairly easy to do a few examples uses them figures.

Right, don't think there is any need for any sexist terms when a serious question is asked. If you are suffering from sexual tension, you obviously have access to the net so use that

Sarz what sort of stuff are reading, learning and struggling with?

could you list a copy of the books you have so we know what you are reading and if they are any good?

Does no one get i wanted some simple equations to work out jeez just to make sure i was understanding

a 20 mtrs long 2.5mm cable with a 1.5mm cpc ( earth ) , is added to a 15 mtrs long 6mm cable with a 2.5 cpc.

using the values provided at the bottom , calculate

1. the total circuit resistance for the live conductor ?
2. the total cicuit resistance for the cpc ?

6mm = 3.08 milli ohms per mtr
2.5mm = 7.41
1.5mm = 12.1

hints
take your time
use a calculator and notepad ( unless your maths is on par with Dr. stephen hawkings )
break it down into managable sections

Last edited by a moderator:
a 20 mtrs long 2.5mm cable with a 1.5mm cpc ( earth ) , is added to a 15 mtrs long 6mm cable with a 2.5 cpc.

using the values provided at the bottom , calculate

1. the total circuit resistance for the live conductor ?
2. the total cicuit resistance for the cpc ?

6mm = 3.08 milli ohms per mtr
2.5mm = 7.41
1.5mm = 12.1

hints
take your time
use a calculator and notepad ( unless your maths is on par with Dr. stephen hawkings )
break it down into managable sections

Remember line,neutral should be close to each other but cpc is normally higher as the resistance is higher

Remember one important fact, the osg figures are based on an ambient temperature of 20 or 30oC I forget which

The colder the temperature the lower the resistance

Reply to Basic stuff for basic blondes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net