Discuss Basic Testing Procedures in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Beg to differ here IMO the safe isolation must be done prior to the Ze test as you are removing the main earthing conductor to the installation. I stated that the Ze test had to be done with the supply switched off not that it was a dead test
The actual supply is not switched off, the installation past the main breaker is switched off granted but not the supply. Anyone just about to take the 2391 practical may be confused as books including GN3 and OSG use the CRIPLER method and this is the way i've been taught to test within my 2391 course;

Dead tests:

Continuity of circuit protective conductors
Ring final circuit conductor continuity
Insulation resistance testing
Polarity

The actual supply is not switched off, the installation past the main breaker is switched off granted but not the supply. Anyone just about to take the 2391 practical may be confused as books including GN3 and OSG use the CRIPLER method and this is the way i've been taught to test within my 2391 course;

Dead tests:

Continuity of circuit protective conductors
Polarity

Except that you don't have to follow any particular order in the 2391, as it's a PIR that you are completing, not an Initial Verification.

You can basically test in the order that suits you best.:)

Dead tests:

C
ontinuity of circuit protective conductors
Polarity

Live Tests:

Loop impedance test external (Ze)
Earth fault loop impedances (Zs)
RCD testing

Just a note I was shown this and it really helped. It's vey similar.

C.R.I.P.P.E.L.D (main point to notice E & L are the wrong way round)

Continuity of C.P.C's inc main and supplementary bonding conductors

Ring final continuity

Insulation resistance

Polarity (dead)
>Earth electrode test if a TT system
Polarity (Live) inc phase rotation at origin of the installation

Externals Ze inc PFC at origin

Loop impedance Zs inc phase rotation and PFC both taken at the load

Devices inc RCD/RCBO and fuctional testing of both On-load and Off-load switching devices

Hi BillyBoBob,

Thats a great comment probably originating from Chris Kitchen or a guy called Dave Potter.

Good stuff, good info.

Best wishes,

Rex

Hi BillyBoBob,

Thats a great comment probably originating from Chris Kitchen or a guy called Dave Potter.
Good stuff, good info.
Best wishes,
Rex

The Dave Potter way is:

Continuity of protective conductors including bonding.
Ring continuity test
Insulation resistance tests
Polarity dead (normally already confirmed with C & R)
Polarity live (confirmation of supply polarity at live side of main switch before turning on)
Loop impedance tests, Ze or earth electrode followed by Zs readings.
Earth fault current and short circuit fault current (PFC)
Rcd and other functional tests.

The greens are dead tests and the reds are live.

Last edited by a moderator:
good stuff mate its handy havin it online instead ov rummaging through books could u put the range on the tester like megaohms or that used for each sequence of tests up as well?

what a cracking post most helpfull as im just starting, could anyone help me on a template for a complaints procedure, before my eic assesment. cheers or possible send it pm me for my email address sorry if im being cheeky

Last edited by a moderator:
hi like your thread did notice rcd did not cover testing both sides of the pos -neg half cycles of the supply waveform and the highest recorded

hi like your thread did notice rcd did not cover testing both sides of the pos -neg half cycles of the supply waveform and the highest recorded

Thanks for that taylortec. Now edited with those included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

some good stuff on there. it would have made my course a lot easier with a site like this to look trough and saved a small fortune on books :( mind i would have only spent it on tools :)
Sintra some useful info there for people like myself currently studying the 2391, however i believe the first part could be mis-informative to people who may have interpretated it as i have. Ze (external earth fault loop impedance taken at the origin) is not a dead test as described. Granted all outgoing sides of the DB main breaker should be open (in OFF position). However it is a live test and therefore will not be done after you perform a safe isolation.

Sintra some useful info there for people like myself currently studying the 2391, however i believe the first part could be mis-informative to people who may have interpretated it as i have. Ze (external earth fault loop impedance taken at the origin) is not a dead test as described. Granted all outgoing sides of the DB main breaker should be open (in OFF position). However it is a live test and therefore will not be done after you perform a safe isolation.

I isn't described as a dead test. The test is carried out after the installation has been isolated safely so the earthing may be disconnected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Reply to Basic Testing Procedures in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net