Discuss Bathroom downlight insulation coverable + exisiting CPC cut in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan999

-
Reaction score
Pleased to find this forum, my 1st post! I will get an electrician in for this to make sure it's safe and tested but I want to understand what's right before getting a quote/posting a job.
Previous owners had downlights installed in the bathroom but a later test certificate identified the CPCs had been cut. I want the wiring fixed (continuous CPC) and new downlights that allow 300mm fibre insulation (Aurora EFD Pro with LEDs from downlights dot co dot uk?).
Scrabbling about in the loft I can see a JB replacing the old rose that feeds another JB which feeds a shaver socket with 2.5mm2 and two more JBs. 1st JB is switched and feeds a Showerlite extractor fan + light, 2nd JB is switched and feeds two more JBs, one feeding three lights and the other two.
My questions:
1. lights are wired in parallel from the final two JBs but is it preferable to daisy chain with connectors (with strain relief)?
2. can the transformer on the fan light be changed to drive an LED (assume I can't just swap the 35W halogen for a 4W LED)?
3. anything else I need to be aware of?
Many thanks in advance.

My questions:
1. lights are wired in parallel from the final two JBs but is it preferable to daisy chain with connectors (with strain relief)?
2. can the transformer on the fan light be changed to drive an LED (assume I can't just swap the 35W halogen for a 4W LED)?
3. anything else I need to be aware of?
Many thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I imagine you are doing this yourself

1. All 230v equipment will be wired in parallel back to supply via circuits. If you put 2 x 230v resistive loads in series, the voltage will be halved, the current will double and your lights will be dim. Don't do this..

2. Yes

3. If you are doing it yourself, probably (I don't mean that in an unhelpful way).

Hello Dan what exactly are you asking. Is this works you are intending to undertake yourself and if so are you an electrician.

I understand the response, after all why post on this forum otherwise? If I felt comfortable I'd do it myself but I don't. I don't have the experience or knowledge, I can't test it, it's a special location and I'm not allowed to alter the wiring, I won't be insured, and I have a little one asleep upstairs. I'm serious, I'm not doing it but I do understand your response.
I also read a thread by a person with an electrical engineering degree who knew better, it wasn't pretty.
It's in my nature to want to understand everything, it helps allay my fears and is definitely OCD but there you go.
Thanks

I'm really after confidence of what I'm asking for in a job. I guess what I don't want is someone just replacing the downlights and not fixing the wiring but it's also been useful to know the showerlite can run an LED with a new transformer.

Yes to the shower light running an led if the transformer is changed.

And yes any reputable electrician will sort the junction boxes and fit you new lights he/she can reccomend if you ask them to.

Hi - unfortunately it's not that rare for loft lights to have had the cpc deleted. You're right to want it restored as the earth is a critical safety item. Given it's already been found one thing, there may be others so I'd have it properly tested.

Reply to Bathroom downlight insulation coverable + exisiting CPC cut in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net