Discuss Bathroom electrical wiring - fan and shaver sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cielly

-
Reaction score
Hello.

I had my bathroom renovated a few days ago, and I found out shortly after it was completed, that the new shaver sockets only work when the extractor fan is turned on - when the isolator switch is pressed.

I had the same electricians out to fix the issue, and now the extractor fan only works when the light switch is on, and the shaver sockets only works when the extractor fan and lights are on.

What the hell are these guys doing?

Normally the fan comes on with the lights then often has a run on time when the light is off. The shaver socket should be on permanent regardless of the light switching.

Hello.

I had my bathroom renovated a few days ago, and I found out shortly after it was completed, that the new shaver sockets only work when the extractor fan is turned on - when the isolator switch is pressed.

I had the same electricians out to fix the issue, and now the extractor fan only works when the light switch is on, and the shaver sockets only works when the extractor fan and lights are on.

What the hell are these guys doing?

I feel for you ..... sounds like the krypton factor to get a shave. Are you sure they are electricians and not bathroom fitters? shouldn't be such a hard fix

What they probably meant to do was put the fan and the shaver socket on the isolator, so should you need to isolate the fan or the socket you could do so.

However the fan should only switch on when you turn the light on, and will usually have a run-on timer that switches the fan off a certain time after you switch the light off. Some fans also control the length of time that the fan stays on by sensing the humidity.

Your isolation switch should not need to be used as an on-off switch, and should remain in the on position. It's main purpose is so that you can change or maintain your fan without having to switch off your lighting circuit. If everything is configured correctly it should not need to be operated for normal use.

As chris gray said it sounds like after two attempts they have failed to connect it up correctly. Call them back & don't pay them until it is fixed.

Possibility this work would have been notifiable and are they in a scheme - niceic, elecsa, napit or stroma?
Did you get any test certificates for this work?
If so complain to the scheme about them. Youve had them back. Might have to give them another chance. After that the scheme might step in to put it right.

Normally the fan comes on with the lights then often has a run on time when the light is off. The shaver socket should be on permanent regardless of the light switching.

Oh, so this is correct?

This is exactly how it works. My bathroom doesn't have a window.

So I just always leave my isolator switch off?

Oh, so this is correct?

This is exactly how it works. My bathroom doesn't have a window.

@westward10 description above is correct.
You say your fan and shaver socket are as the above description? What seems to be the problem? How would you like the fan and shaver socket to function?

So I just always leave my isolator switch off

As above, if they are working to the above description then why would you want the isolator switches off all the time?

As your bathroom does not have a window the fan comes on with the light and runs on for a time period after the light has been turned off.
The fan isolator should be left in the on position.
If the fan isolator switch is turned off the light should still turn on and off and the shaver socket should still work. I am sure that members on here would wire the installation the same way.

Yep,agree. Light switch for light and fan. Separate isolator 3 pole. Fan probably require fusing also?

Glasgow used to be in Scotland so not notifaible (part P). May or may not have needed a warrant. Scottish Building Standards requires the fan.

@westward10 description above is correct.
You say your fan and shaver socket are as the above description? What seems to be the problem? How would you like the fan and shaver socket to function?

As above, if they are working to the above description then why would you want the isolator switches off all the time?
Suspect this is small mix-up in wording, for some people the isolator is on (active) when the power is off. Not obvious if you think of it as a switch, but you can see the logic.

I cannot believe that in 2019 we are STILL fitting fans onto light circuits to trigger them for a guestimated time to remove humidity.
WHAT relevance (I know this one doesn't have a window but still...) is a light going on with needing a fan to start? I have swapped out so many now as people complain they go for a pee in the night and they wake everyone up with the fan starting. This is stupid. A humidistat fan will only come on when it detects humidity, and it will only switch off, when it's completed its job, without just guessing with a run on time. I usually fit a retractive switch next to the light switch to trigger then fan should there be a need to run it for a timed period, say to remove a smell!
This complies fully with building regs.
Also, I believe the electricians were right to put the shaver socket on an isolator. I believe it's wrong to give a shaver socket a hard wired feed. I provide a separate one usually, but don't see a major issue with using the fan isolator. it's easier to undertake testing and easier for the end user to isolate it if it goes wrong, trips the house or starts buzzing.
Shame they cant understand which conductor does what behind the fan isolator switch though!! A simple problem to solve.

Agree with the comment above from FUSE about fans coming on with lights - most of the time you go in the bathroom you go for a pee and don't need the fan. So all that wear and tear (and noise) on the fan shortening its working life for no reason.

And what if you go in the shower in the daytime? Lights switching on and off again for no reason.

Is it so hard to just pull a pull switch on a fan if you go in the shower? Or a humidistat as FUSE says.

Agree with the above from FUSE regarding the fan, however, especially with major house builders a4 inch axial fan with timer seems the default fitting which is ok through a wall or short duct but is not using 2Mtrs+ of flex duct vertical to a roof tile there is too much resistance against the fan.

OMG! Is Glasgow no longer in Scotland???
Will they let me back in next Saturday?
What happened?
Did Nicola take us out of Scotland before Brexit happens?
Will I be "isolated" here in Spain?
Will I be "on" or "off?

Is that a San Miguel I see before me?

Ah! Yessssss!

All is well!

Agree Mr Bragg...as I have said before on here, a 4" axial on 8m of ducting merely contains the f*rt, then releases it back into the loo when the fan switches off as they never fit backdraught shutters.

Reply to Bathroom electrical wiring - fan and shaver sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock