Discuss Bathroom Electrics - Various in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Alan Kerr

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum, so please go easy on me! :)

I'm building a large extension, which includes a new en-suite bathroom. I appreciate that the work has to be done by a suitably qualified electrician, and is obviously subject to building control sign off. That said, I have been heavily involved in the whole project in every aspect and like to understand the technicalities and legalities of such matters, which also helps me trying to plan it all and order the applicable materials. There is a lot more electrical equipment going into this bathroom than most, and whilst I obviously want it to be safe and comply, I'm beginning to have concerns that the bedroom wall outside is going to be a patchwork of isolators, fused spurs, and switches so my intention is to limit the number of these as far as practicable.

I've done some research, as as always there is contradicting advice out there, so I would be most grateful for the opinions of those on here for the following points:-

The extract fan will be in a small void above the bathroom ceiling. The room has windows (natural daylight) and the main isolator at the board can be locked off. Do I need a local isolator outside the door?

As well as the obvious room lighting there will be a number of LED lighting features (powered from a plug-in transformer), a suitable IP rated TV, and a "digital" bath/shower mixer that is electrically fed. All of these items are usually fed from a standard 3-pin plug. The area under the bath will normally be sealed and require tools to access. Are there any issues with simply having some sockets located here? If so, would it be preferable to have them as simply a part of the ring main for that area of the house? Alternatively there is a socket in the bedroom nearby, where I could maybe simply locate one fused spur for all of that equipment (the load isn't great, and each item will have it's own fused plug)? What do you think the best way to go is?

In addition I'm also looking to install approx 5m2 of Warmup loose wire undertile heating, as well as 1m2 of mirror demister pad. This is one area that I should perhaps do some more homework on, but any advice on the required supply, fusing, and isolation (if required) would be appreciated.

Lastly, I'm not completely adverse to having an isolator fitted outside the room (I just didn't want a number of them), but would it be possible to have one such device isolate most or all of the above equipment?

Many thanks in advance for any constructive help offered. Thank you.

P.S. Everything will be fed from a new dist board, with appropriate RCD protection. I also live in Scotland (if that makes any difference to the regs or building control expectations).

Good catch Taylor which does mean that you, also, have been 'playing away'.

Do you have a plan as it could be that the switched fused spurs etc could go in a adj cupboard,if the fan is in the loft (in line fan) the isolator could go there.

Reply to Bathroom Electrics - Various in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock