Discuss Bathroom extraction with no provision for outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

stevethesparks

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
Have quoted for multiple ensuites and bathroom additions for an old customer. I did include in my quotation that any coring or ducting for extraction fans to be undertaken by the builder - so I am covered.
However, the builder is a mate, and I'd like to help where I can.
There is one small ensuite on a mid floor in the centre of the house that is proving difficult to route a suitable ducting, and even where possible ends up above a conservatory.
I feel a little dumb even asking, but is anyone aware of any such device that could be used to direct the extract fan through that would send any humidity to a local soil pipe or similar?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for the reply, but it would still be an issue getting the ducting to the loft as its mid floor of a 3 storey house.
Another issue would be with a ducting of any considerable length would reduce the effectiveness of the fan as well as probably needing a condensation trap added.

What about fitting them in the window if location is suitable. A good glazier could save you alot of grief.

Can you have an ensuite approved with no window and no extractor? Sounds like it's time to take a bit of the flooring up and route the pipe to an exterior wall.
That can be done but ends up bang in the middle of a conservatory, and very high up too.
Looks like I'll be telling my builder mate "sorry I did try" whilst peeing my pants at the same time. :)

The only plans I've seen are on a sheet of A4 in pen :)
There is no extension or new build just conversions of existing vacant rooms.

In this instance its just a 1st floor bedroom they want to put a loo and shower into, but do not want any ducting/boxing in through the bedroom.
Due to the soil pipe, entry door and window locations, it wouldn't be possible to shift the ensuite to the outside wall either.
They could have just had an open shower in the bedroom, but wanted a toilet too.

The only plans I've seen are on a sheet of A4 in pen :)
There is no extension or new build just conversions of existing vacant rooms.

In this instance its just a 1st floor bedroom they want to put a loo and shower into, but do not want any ducting/boxing in through the bedroom.
Due to the soil pipe, entry door and window locations, it wouldn't be possible to shift the ensuite to the outside wall either.
They could have just had an open shower in the bedroom, but wanted a toilet too.

This is what really frustrates me with some customers, they want something particular then put restrictions on how it can be done making the job virtually impossible. Had one a while back who wanted a couple of extra sockets, but no surface wiring and no chasing. I said wireless sockets are yet to be invented. :rolleyes:

There is a 4" vent kit you can get where you core your hole from the inside then pass the duct and grill through the hole and the grill is sprung loaded or something and you pull it back and it pings open on the outside for when there is no access! I have no idea what its called but i know it exists and would probably solve your problem! You'll have to have a google

Reply to Bathroom extraction with no provision for outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock