Discuss Bathroom Extractor Fan Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 108834

Any help for this problem is massively appreciated. I live in an apartment block and my extractor fan is bust. Took it off hoping to replace it myself, but I'm honestly not sure what type of fan I'd be needing.

I know I'd need a timer fan, because the wiring is there, but the vent is so small - would I need to just attach a larger flex vent to the current small one?

Pictures:
Bathroom Extractor Fan Help 31760030_10216369580819294_1783770673320034304_n - EletriciansForums.net Bathroom Extractor Fan Help 31890795_10216369580499286_6833607428261543936_n - EletriciansForums.net

Wow, that's a big hole. what make of fan came out?
You might struggle to find a like for like replacement to fit that housing. Not without paying megabucks.
Your alternative is a timer fan with a 100mm duct. Problem is I don't think the duct you have there is big enough and ive not seen a reducer to take it down.
You also need to think about where this is located. If its a bathroom, then you might need to go 12v. How far away is it from a bath/shower?

Any help for this problem is massively appreciated. I live in an apartment block and my extractor fan is bust. Took it off hoping to replace it myself, but I'm honestly not sure what type of fan I'd be needing.

I know I'd need a timer fan, because the wiring is there, but the vent is so small - would I need to just attach a larger flex vent to the current small one?

Pictures:
View attachment 42025 View attachment 42026
If you have removed the fan, then take it into a decet Electrical Wholesaler, and ask for some advice on a replacement, and adapters if the ducting and fan aren't compatable. Is the Flat inquestion a rental or are you the owner, I ask because, if it's a rental, then your Land Lord should be the first port of call. If the Wholesaler cant help you out with a replacement, ask thenm if they know of a good Electrician who could help.

The fan is the other side of the bathroom to the shower. The solution I'm thinking of would be a fan with a 100mm duct, then a 100mm to 75mm reducer. Should do the trick, but do you see any big potential flaws?

If you have removed the fan, then take it into a decet Electrical Wholesaler, and ask for some advice on a replacement, and adapters if the ducting and fan aren't compatable. Is the Flat inquestion a rental or are you the owner, I ask because, if it's a rental, then your Land Lord should be the first port of call. If the Wholesaler cant help you out with a replacement, ask thenm if they know of a good Electrician who could help.

That was my thinking too. We own, hence the want to do a DIY job.

That looks like a Silavent Mayfair type unit.

My best advice is like for like replacement - and they are not cheap

That's exactly what it is. Good eye! Is it possible to just replace with standard bathroom fan - what's the benefit of going like-for-like? I always found it to be quite a loud fan.

The fan is the other side of the bathroom to the shower. The solution I'm thinking of would be a fan with a 100mm duct, then a 100mm to 75mm reducer. Should do the trick, but do you see any big potential flaws?

The bog standard fans are not usually designed to have their ducting reduced. Besides the reduced air flow I'm not sure if there would be any other affects.

A standard bathroom fan probably won't be suitable. Most are axial fans with 100mm duct capable of extracting over short distances.

The existing looks like a centrifugal which creates higher pressures to extract over longer ducts. They are pricey and noisy as a rule but may be the only option to fit the existing situation.

That's exactly what it is. Good eye! Is it possible to just replace with standard bathroom fan - what's the benefit of going like-for-like? I always found it to be quite a loud fan.

Its not a good eye, its a good memory!

Fitting anything other than the same model will turn into a DIY disaster and your misses won't be happy.

It may have been noisy due to the bearings wearing out.

With a hole that size, would it be possible for an inline fan hidden behind the wall? (behind an access panel of course) Would still need a reducer unless you can get to where that small duct is terminated.
How far to outside grill?

My exact model is here. I dread paying £130 for a bathroom extractor fan. It doesn't really seem to be all that different from something like this. I was thinking about getting that, attaching a reducer for the duct, and then getting some sort of trim to go around. Any thoughts on this?

My exact model is here. I dread paying £130 for a bathroom extractor fan. It doesn't really seem to be all that different from something like this. I was thinking about getting that, attaching a reducer for the duct, and then getting some sort of trim to go around. Any thoughts on this?

I did warn you they are expensive ............................

Try and do it any other way and it could easily end up looking like a dogs dinner ........... and not extract very well....

trying to understand current building regs. atm. you stuff in tons of insulation to keep the heat in, then fit humungous fans to suck it out. confused.com.

Centrifugal fan are better then the standard fans as the airflow rates are usually better I have Airflow fitted in my bathroom.

If you are worried about the noise then fit a Sonos system and a single stereo speaker to muffle the noise of the fan and anything else.........

Just keep out of MaccyDs for a month and you will recoup the cost.

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Fan Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock