Discuss Bathroom Extractor Fan opinion... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

The flat I rent out has recently been having condensation issues throughout the property but especially in the bathroom. The ceiling has now gone black with mould.

The council who manage the building have inspected the property and said I need to install an extractor fan in the bathroom. The window does open and there has never been an issue in the 20+ years since being owned by my family. However, I decided I will install one anyway to keep the council happy.

The council have told me I am not allowed to install the fan in the ceiling as it's a communal loft, and the only way I'm allowed do it, is to drill through the brickwork and wall mount it.

Obviously heat rises and the best location I can install the fan would require the steam to be extracted downwards and to the other side of the bathroom bypassing the shower curtain. I cannot install it above the window as the soffit board on the exterior finishes just above the window frame and contains asbestos. I have attached a picture of the bathroom, the basketball is place I intended to install.

I honestly do not believe this will prevent the ceiling from going black again and will not work efficiently as the steam will still sit on the ceiling above the shower.

In my opinion in needs to go directly above the shower.

The council are due to inspect the roof this month as there is condensation issues in all rooms, so I feel there is something bigger going on. Especially as it's not been an issue before and the tenants open the window after each shower for an hour or two.

I'm just after more thoughts from experienced tradesmen as to whether the location of that fan would be beneficial especially the amount of effort it will take to install. I don't it would make much difference.

Any suggestions and opinions appreciated.

Many Thanks

20180104_191732.jpg

What you describe regarding the damp is typical of tenants who don't have suitable ventilation ..... I.e using Windows.

An extractor fan will help but best not have an isolation switch or they will turn it off. That said, when you fit it, remove any back draft flaps so that the room is always getting some ventilation.

I would suspect that they are drying their washing without suitable ventilation, and similarly in the kitchen.....

The basketball position, or most positions for that matter, will help. As long as dryer air can be drawn in under the door to replace the moist air. Ceiling would probably be better but it does look a bit of a pain to install with the tiles and the narrow gap between window recess and untiled wall.
Be wary about what tenants say, I would take the comment that they leave the window open for an hour with a pinch of salt. Do they have the radiator switched on in there? That could cause issues too if they don't.
I have known tenants that refuse to have what they consider superfluous radiators switched on, and even when they have had extractors installed they then leave them switched off at the isolator. They come out with things like they make the room too cold or cost too much to run! Too much to run!!! Then usually after a few months the tenants moan that silicone, ceiling or grout is going mouldy.

Is there plenty of insulation in the loft? That would help a fair bit if there is.

EDIT:

Just to add: are the condensation issues in all rooms of just your flat, of other flats too? Have any trades been up in the loft and moved the loft insulation away from your ceilings perhaps...

Last edited:
that's why i asked are they new tenants,different people have different habits,one tenant can have no condensation issues , the next tenants can be a condensation nightmare

Very true Mick, some tenants are very good at blowing a lot of hot air!!

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes the tenants are new and I was informed of these issues since they moved in. Within a month of them moving in, the ceiling had gone black which didn't even need painting after the previous tenant moved out.

There is a heated towel rail in the bathroom so I will ask them if they leave it on.

Not aware of trades accessing the loft space but the council's contractors are inspected the roof at the end of the month.

I have asked the flat opposite and they have no issues.

As mentioned, maybe there methods/habits are the cause as it's only happened since they moved in.

I just don't want to to through the hassle of installing the fan in that position if it doesn't make much difference and still has condensation issues.

I will suggest leaving the radiator on if they don't and tell them again to make sure the window is open. Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest to them.

Unfortunately you may get no joy from these tenants. I think Micks post #5 probably sums it up.
As Forrest Gump once said: stupid is as stupid does!

Hi - another help may be trickle vents installed in the bathroom window. Some windows will take them as retro fit, some are factory only.

All tenants have differing habits as said previously , I see a lot of problems at my place of work ( student accommodation )
Regarding condensation. Mostly it is as a result of leaving wet washing hanging around and leaving things to soak in the bath . I must say the floor at the side of the toilet looks stained , maybe another habit

If there is condensation throughout,in addition to or as a alternative, consider a positive ventilation fan to address the problem in the whole of the flat

Do you mean MVHR Des? If so it does work a treat, but no loft access available for the landlord in this case. If you mean something else what is it please as am curious..

The more I think about it and read the comments, I think your right about the tenants habits.

No kids in property. Trickle vents are fitted to the windows and it is the shadow on floor haha. I took this photo before they moved on and flooring was new.

I thought about the Positive Ventilation unit as my fiends rented property has one but I'm not allowed to install in the loft.

I think I will go back to the tenants with a list of helpful solutions and see how they get on.

Thanks again for all the advice, been a great help.

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Fan opinion... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net