Discuss Bathroom Extractor Fan Problem... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oooh, Scouser got jokes... PMSL!!:D:D

I'm actually a displaced Essex Boy, but regardless, you seem to have us all confused with Yorkshire...;);):p:p

essex? that's even worse. they bathe in the estuary there. it's the floating turds from london sewers give then the fake tans.

Nice! But the turds are brown, fake tan is orange... :D:D

Why on earth have to gone to Luton.

Thanks Lee42.

Kids are in bed now so stumbling around in the loft will have to wait until the morning.

However, even before I put a multimeter on it have I not already proved both line and switched line voltages? If wired as per the installation diagram and fan labels, the fan runs constantly as soon as the CU is turned on, regardless of light switch position and/or if I operate the light switch (so line voltage must be present). But at the same time the lights turn on and off as commanded with the same light switch (therefore switched line voltage must also be available).

The more I look at it the more it seems like a fault with the fan. But for it to be happening with both supplied fans seems rather strange...

Its not something straight forward like the over run timer set to max. Some fans can over run for along time.

I should have put Bedfordshire really. I'm not actually in Luton but it is the closest big town to my village. Convenient mid-point between work and family.

No Lee42, when in the switched configuration the fan stops as soon as the light switch is turned off, regardless of timer position. :(

No Lee42, when in the switched configuration the fan stops as soon as the light switch is turned off, regardless of timer position. :(

But in the other configuration u said the fan ran constantly. Could that of been because the timer was set to max making it seem the fan ran constantly.
Just a thought.
I have been given faulty fans before, but to get two in a row is very unlucky

Correct Lee42, originally it ran as soon as the CU was turned on. But with the light switch off it should never have started, surely? Any timer should only kick in when an "on" light is turned off?

Bloody confusing... :confused::confused::confused:

I wonder if it runs on initial application of line power to set the timer? Let it run to cut out then maybe the switched control will work? Might try that while I'm on the inevitable phone "hold" tomorrow...

Correct Lee42, originally it ran as soon as the CU was turned on. But with the light switch off it should never have started, surely? Any timer should only kick in when an "on" light is turned off?

Bloody confusing... :confused::confused::confused:
Im out then :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Yes you are correct you need to switch the light on to activate the fan.
Without physically looking at it not sure what else to suggest.
Good luck with finding the problem

Im out then :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Yes you are correct you need to switch the light on to activate the fan.
Without physically looking at it not sure what else to suggest.
Good luck with finding the problem

Thanks Lee42, much appreciated.

Best regards,

BW

Right!! A fresh and rested pair of eyes (and ears) sorted it this morning!

I turned on the CU and let the fan run to see if it stopped, which it did after 30mins. Timer adjusted, light switch on, lights on, fan on. Waited 30secs, light switch off, lights off, fan ran-on for 10mins! Perfick!! :):):)

The fact it originally ran uncommanded threw me as, from a DIY'ers basic safety perspective, there appeared to be an uncontrolled live. In hindsight, it was the de-energised timer relay (no SL) waiting for a Live to start the timer, which was provided by switching the CU.:D:D

The supplied instructions really need to have that explained. Just a simple "Fan will run initially to reset the timer" would do.

Thanks for your help everyone, i'm off to sort the CPC, single insulation, identification... :D:D:D:D:D:D

Obviously not a professional job. However, trying to cross check your diagram with the junction box it would seem that you have crossed connections at fan in that the switched live which seems to be the grey wire is going to neutral and the black wire is going to the switched live position. The probability of two fans being faulty though not impossible is remote, its almost certainly your wiring.

Reply to Bathroom Extractor Fan Problem... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock