Discuss Bathroom extractor fan without fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think that the makers put an FCU (with a 3amp fuse) in their diagrams to cater for where the fan is powered from a ring final and the fan and the connecting wiring need to be protected from a fault current limited only by a 32amp MCB.

IMO there is no need to 'fuse down' a fan supplied from a 6amp lighting circuit. There are squillions of them installed like that, everywhere, many of them by me.

I think that the makers put an FCU (with a 3amp fuse) in their diagrams to cater for where the fan is powered from a ring final and the fan and the connecting wiring need to be protected from a fault current limited only by a 32amp MCB.

IMO there is no need to 'fuse down' a fan supplied from a 6amp lighting circuit. There are squillions of them installed like that, everywhere, many of them by me.
Totally agree.

it's all a matter of discrimination ( or the lack of ). some time ago, i had a vivarium lamp blow. it took out 2 x 5A plug top fuses and the 16A MCB in the CU.

Thanks for responses, its going onto existing lighting circuit and will have a 3 pole isolator; I think it would be safe on a 6a rcd'd lighting circuit, however would like to fit it and have no questions from customer if he reads the instructions. Will check out those recommendations !, thanks

Some non timed fans ask for 1A fuse, manufacturers requirement takes president so if you installed incorrectly, customer could insist you carry out a costly upgrade to comply at your cost. If you don't tell client you are leaving yourself legally exposed. Is it worth risking your business for a fan?

Some non timed fans ask for 1A fuse, manufacturers requirement takes president so if you installed incorrectly, customer could insist you carry out a costly upgrade to comply at your cost. If you don't tell client you are leaving yourself legally exposed. Is it worth risking your business for a fan?
This is true but what are the chances.

If it's keeping you awake I'd pop an inline fuseholder inside the fan itself, can't say I'd ever bother myself as like said it's debatable a 3A 1361 fuse would beat a B6 MCB anyway.

Or you could do like barratt homes and stick a sw/f/sp marked "fan" that in fact controls the whole bathroom lights & all and completely miss the whole point of having a fan isolator and causes the likes of me to spend an hour trying to trace a break in a circuit before realising what amateur fwits I'm following around.:mad:

If it's keeping you awake I'd pop an inline fuseholder inside the fan itself, can't say I'd ever bother myself as like said it's debatable a 3A 1361 fuse would beat a B6 MCB anyway.

Or you could do like barratt homes and stick a sw/f/sp marked "fan" that in fact controls the whole bathroom lights & all and completely miss the whole point of having a fan isolator and causes the likes of me to spend an hour trying to trace a break in a circuit before realising what amateur fwits I'm following around.:mad:
The point of the fuse is to provide overcurrent protection not fault protection.

Maybe im being a bit OTT but if i could find a fan, which does not need an overrun btw, that does not request to be fused, then I will be more happy than usual.

Reply to Bathroom extractor fan without fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock