Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Bathroom extractor recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Matthew

Matthew EF Member

Looking for a 100mm straight through wall extractor - customer wants super silent!!! Any recommendations?

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

Yes ,ear plugs .;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

Loads of good ones out there mate,expelair silent are good but manufactures spec a 3a fuse in line,which can become a pain finding a place to locate it.....bout £70 ish,although of cost is an issue you could always take buzz’s advice....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. Dobes_88

Dobes_88 Jamie

5. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

There are a couple of males that don’t specify fusing down...

6. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Another vote for the Envirovent from me, very good fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

If in a windy location I use the airflow icon range as they have inbuilt electronic (and quite funky!) backdraught shutters and you can add many different types of modules fot different requirements (pullcord, timer, humidistat, pir etc). Unfortunately they do specify a 3A fuse

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adam W

Adam W Regular EF Member

I agree

9. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

Another vote for envirovent sil100t. Nothing else comes close

• Like Like x 1
  10. gutterball

gutterball Electrician's Arms

11. tlangdon12

tlangdon12 Regular EF Member

There is no problem fusing down a fan if you select a fused isolator for the fan. Fused Isolators are available in three pole models specifically for extractor fans.

12. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Not keen on the idea of the fused 3 pole isolators as they only have one fuse. There are two lines that could be live and since both connect to the fan, both have the potential to cause a fault or potentially a fire.

I normally take the bathroom lights off the main lighting loop and fuse it all down to 3A (if required by the manufacturers instructions) and have a separate 3 pole isolator (if required by the manufacturers instructions).

Note - This is my personal opinion :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Electrical2go

Electrical2go Sponsor

Business Name:
    Electrical2go.co.uk
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. chris gray

chris gray Electrician's Arms

Monsoon are very very quiet

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Marcus Vaughan

Marcus Vaughan Regular EF Member

Seems a bit of minefield this issue and there are lots of posts regarding it on this forum. Some say that a 6amp Type B MCB will trip before the 3amp BS1362 pops, though I don't believe that when looking at the time/current characteristics for both. I think the 3amp will blow at 5amp or soon after.

I'm no expert but trying to get my head round it all. It has been mentioned on here that the switch line operates the timer only and the permanent live feeds the fan. So if the fan starts sticking or drawing more current then perhaps only the permanent live needs fusing down.

See attached though, for the icon30, which shows you can, if using external switching, get away with the 3 amp fuse in the permanent live only.

So I know I have to pay particular to manufacturers instructions with fans.

All this aside, I like the way you overcome this, as it removes all doubt.

But what I would like to do even more, and going back to to the original post, is buy fans that do not need fusing down!

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1