Discuss Bathroom fan and isolator switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimjamyaha

Hi,

Apologies for the repeat post but I have re-measured the bathroom/fan and it now appears to be within zone 2. I've attached a picture (2 mashed together) with measurements. The fan is mains @ 230v.

We've had an extractor fan wired into our bathroom by an electrician. However he's put the 3-pole isolator next to the fan.

The fan is a timed/humidistat one that is triggered on by the light and then runs on it's own.

He's certified the work with a certificate - should I get him back to sort it out, or is it ok to be left?

Thanks,

James.

Attachments

• Bathroom fan and isolator switch fan - EletriciansForums.net
    fan.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 129
Really needs to be moved out of zone 2 and as he will be moving it safest if it is outside the bathroom completely.

Chris

Shouldn't really have any kind of switch in the bathroom at all.

If your bathroom has a window, you can get the electrician to remove the isolator completely, as the function of the isolator was to isolate the fan whilst the lights remained on, but only if no natural light was available. I think its in the building regs page 64???

Best regards and hope this helps,

Sav

Shouldn't really have any kind of switch in the bathroom at all.

If your bathroom has a window, you can get the electrician to remove the isolator completely, as the function of the isolator was to isolate the fan whilst the lights remained on, but only if no natural light was available. I think its in the building regs page 64???

Best regards and hope this helps,

Sav

Sav i have heard this before and didnt believe my ears but as u have said it i will investigate..

What you are saying is if you have natural light you dont need an isolator as you can isolate lighting circuit and use the light from the window,,

I think its a crock of **** ( my opinion) so what happens if you are called to that same property at 5pm on a winters evening it will be pitch black therefore no light,

So your way only works if you work in daylight hours,

this is a rant at what your saying and not you,, as ive heard other people say this

Eddie,
I am with you on this and as good practise, I also fit an isolator where possible.
I just checked the regs and its on page 65 and quote "An extractor fan supplied from a lighting circuit for a bathroom without a window should have its own means of isolation, as otherwise replacement or maintenance of the fan would have to be carried out in the dark"

Probably written by someone in springtime !!!

Like I said, I always fit on where possible, but in this scenario, if a window is fitted, then thats the easiest option.

Best regards Eddie mate,

Sav

Eddie,
I am with you on this and as good practise, I also fit an isolator where possible.
I just checked the regs and its on page 65 and quote "An extractor fan supplied from a lighting circuit for a bathroom without a window should have its own means of isolation, as otherwise replacement or maintenance of the fan would have to be carried out in the dark"

Probably written by someone in springtime !!!

Like I said, I always fit on where possible, but in this scenario, if a window is fitted, then thats the easiest option.

Best regards Eddie mate,

Sav

Glad u didnt take it the wrong way... its just backward..

What is the height from the finished floor to the isolator? If it is above 2.25M then it is outside the zones.

well sav you have taught me something today thank you. i always believed that an isolator was required.
jimjamyaha
chances are that if you read the manufacturers fitting instructions you will probably find that it needs to be fitted with a 3amp dp switch.

Well said Jason that should boost our workload;)

Chris

Or the sale of LED head torches.

Did you know that you now have to fuse extract fans at 2 or 3 amps ,this was due to a few cases of fires caused by the fans seizing and some poor guy loosing his life ,spark was prosecuted and lost because there was no additional fuse ,you have to fuse both switched and perm lives ,only way ive managed to do it is to drop the feeds into a fused spur then to an isolator then the fan ,i was advised this by the elecsa inspector

Have you zoomed in the photo?? The isolator is really badly fitted regardless.

That thing is dog rough wouldn't be happy with that in my house.

Did you know that you now have to fuse extract fans at 2 or 3 amps ,this was due to a few cases of fires caused by the fans seizing and some poor guy loosing his life ,spark was prosecuted and lost because there was no additional fuse ,you have to fuse both switched and perm lives ,only way ive managed to do it is to drop the feeds into a fused spur then to an isolator then the fan ,i was advised this by the elecsa inspector

Have you got a reg number or reference for this?

Reply to Bathroom fan and isolator switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock