Discuss Bathroom fan not working correctly in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pjlm

Hi everyone,

I recently moved into a new build house with a fitted bathroom complete with fan that comes on/off with the light switch (+delay for going off).

Strangely when you switch the lights on/off in the hallway next to the bathroom is sometimes disturbs the fan so you can hear it skip, or sometimes stop completely.

Recently the fan has struggled to get going, and pulses for a few seconds before getting up to speed.

Outside the bathroom there is an isolator switch and a fuse for the fan.

Is there an approved method for wiring up bathroom fans? Are they usually connected to the light switch, light or separate with a trigger from the switch somehow? I don't know where to turn to fix this so if there is a module somewhere I could replace or tighten that would be helpful :)

Could anyone give advice on what to try or likely causes? Any help very gratefully received.

thank you

Pete

I have moved your thread into the DIY forum as you are obviously the homeowner and not a spark.

The list of what could cause your problem is endless
At first glance you appear to have an incorrectly wired supply for the fans permanent feed

Without knowledge of standard circuit layouts and basic testing abilities plus the instruments to use,you may not have much chance of a diy repair

Probably loose connections, but difficult to make a proper diagnosis without seeing it first hand. I'm not far away!

Could be a number of faults. If I were you I would take Murdoch up on his offer I am sure he will do you a fair priced job. sometimes it is best just to leave things to the pro's it saves you getting stressed or injured.

Thank you all for the very prompt replies!

I don't have any information on the circuit layouts unfortunately and it sounds like it could be anything :(

Thanks for the information and yeh probably safest to get someone in. Got a few more things to try and then may give you a shout at some stage next week Murdoch!

thanks

I don't have any information on the circuit layouts unfortunately and it sounds like it could be anything :(

Thanks for the information and yeh probably safest to get someone in. Got a few more things to try and then may give you a shout at some stage next week Murdoch!

thanks
Finally a decent homeowner who is willing to enlist the help of a pro instead of getting ratty about it. nice one :)

thanks

No problem. If you do, I would recommend using the private message system on here rather than posting phone or email addresses for all and sundry to see.

Just to say, I replaced the fan to see if it was a simple fix and now everything is working fine. I have no idea why the lights were affecting it but no issues any more :)

thanks for your advice

Reply to Bathroom fan not working correctly in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net