Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Bathroom fan pull cord help in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. george

george New EF Member

Hello,

I have unscrewed the pull down cord unit of a bathroom fan. This was to fit a new cord as the other one need replacing.

I’m now unable to pull the cord to turn off the fan. I have a small coil which needs putting into the unit but I do not know where. Any help would be really appreciated!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

That's the spring from inside the switch, and if that's a new switch, take it back and say its faulty.
    Your wiring doesn't look right either. Is it a fan with a run-on timer?. The isolator should just be left on all the time, and the fan comes on with the light switch pull cord, running on the timer when the light switch is off.
    The 2 earth wires, covered in green/yellow sleeving should be connected to the earth terminal on the switch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

that spring should be behind the black thingy .just remembered the switch plate .how the hell did that get out ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Do yourself a favour Mate, call an Electrician to change the switch. Advising via a step by step method to DIYers is not advisable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

If it's a timer fan I don't think you've got the wiring right. It's also only isolating 1 core. Either return the switch it buy a new on is probably easiest

6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Just love the cpcs tucked up in the ceiling. That alone proves you need an electrician.

7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    who you gonna call???,,,, switchbusters.

8. george

george New EF Member

Thanks all for the information! Going to take your advise and get an electrician to have a look! Really appreciate the comments, most helpful

• Like Like x 2
  9. george

george New EF Member

Hi Buzzlightyear. Just before I call an electrician thought I’d have a look in the black unit. Where about should the coil go in it. I’m thinking putting a coil in the right place may be quite easy. Thank you so much!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

10. george

george New EF Member

Hello could anyone put me out of my misery with a quick answer! Thank you so much!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

As advised previously you would be well advised to get a sparky to look at this. It is too risky to try and guide you by messages on here, and the wiring needs checking as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    quick answer is to call a local sparks. sssssimplesss.