Discuss Bathroom fan with timer and motion sensor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sollyg

-
Reaction score
Hi please can someone help me on this situation
I wired 3 core and earth from light to fan isolater from isolater to fan
Problem I got the fan is it’s only got live and neutral no switch live connection
My fan is m100-pir/t monsoon
It’s got motion sensor and timer jus confused were do I put the 3rd wire in
I wil b grateful if anyone can answer my question
Thank up

If the fan has a built in PIR then why would need a switch wire there ? Have you read the instructions for the fan ?
Are you an electrician ?

HI I am part time electrician I wired it up like I normally do l/N/SL
But I never came across this sort of fan which only got 2 connectors inside and there is no instructions customer already had the fan

The sensor will create it's own switch live function if you want it to run independently from the light, otherwise why have the sensor?

at a guess without seeing the fan i would say there is no switch required if its got a pir sensor. the pir acts as the switch and its built into the device. just use the perm live and neutral. you could run it through an isolator but again all that will do is cut the supply. my experience of these pir bathroom fans is that the sensor acts as the switch and you can adjust the little dial inside to set the time it runs for after detecting movement. its always on in a state of readiness to detect movement,

You're doing this job for a customer ? Sorry, I thought you were a diyer. I'm out.
i missed that part myself! had i saw i wouldnt have replied. if you dont know how to wire it in correctly then you clearly shouldnt be doing the job for a customer. It could also be notifiable depending on zones, so think it might be best if the admin closed this thread!
I have flagged it as I figure it might be unwise to explain with a step by step how to do this. helping out somebody with diy is one thing but when hes freelancing as a 'part time' electrician then thats another thing entirely.

Last edited:
HI I am part time electrician I wired it up like I normally do l/N/SL
But I never came across this sort of fan which only got 2 connectors inside and there is no instructions customer already had the fan

Hi @Sollyg ..
Before we go any further with this thread and giving advice, we need to establish what qualifications you have, the question you ask is worryingly basic for an electrician be it full or part time and even more so that you doing this work and charging for it as you post seems to suggest.
Can you explain the fan voltage, zoning and protection be it existing or provided by yourself when installing the fan, I know it may seem we are going on a tangent from the core question you are asking but we need to know this is been installed correctly in order for us to advice you correctly.

Also, do you have PI, if you are doing work for a customer?

In the old days I would have ripped this OP apart, but I promised GMES I would behave lol, tempting, very tempting, nope I am going to behave.

Hi sorry wen I said part time electrician I havnt done any electrical work for few years should hav said diy and it’s my cousin not coustmer don’t no why it’s typed coustmer jus trying to help him out but it’s all sorted thank u for replying
And tbh u need experience wen I passed few years ago I didn’t get much experience because I broke my both knees and did my back in but I appreciate everyone’s concern about me sayin electrician wen I havnt got that experience and knowledge in depth

Thanks for replying Solly and explaining, I'm closing the thread now that it's been sorted.
Ps Cheers @MDJ

Reply to Bathroom fan with timer and motion sensor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net