Discuss bathroom light question/boiler earth bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

elsparko

as a 1st/2nd year i was always taught as a rule of thumb that if a tap/wateroutlet can be reached whilst touching the pendant/fitting that it should be upgraded to a waterproof chap.

i C2 3 fittings on friday and its being questioned by landlord, am i right in thinking that any room that has a shower/bath must have waterproof light fittings? the other bathroom is just a bog and a sink so i think that one would be ok but i would still c3 it.

another thing was my equipotential bonding, the boiler is supplied by metal gas pipe (correctly earthed) it is copper piping at the boiler but entering the house it turns to plastic pipes, do i need to cross bond the boiler pipes or are they covered by the gas/water services being earthed and the fact that its plastic pipe into the house?

away to dig out my regs book but thought id chuck a few questions on here

I would think it rare (other than perhaps if its in a special location) in most circumstances that a boiler would need bonding ever
it should be bonded inside but on a council contract we were specified that the boilers must be crossbonded, and all hot/cold at sinks, even when they are rcd protected and main services bonded anyways.

I just read up on the regs and the boiler is definitely ok, but the light fittings 2 of them are definitely in zone 2 and not suitable for location

If the light fitting is above 2.25 meters from floor level then it will be out of any of the zones tho it should be suitable for the external influences that a bathroom offers.

it was just above my head and im 6ft, i thought all rooms containing showers/baths should have waterproof light fittings, maybe just my last boss being overly fussy and its rubbed off on me

may have to just put all the fittings to c3 as "what is suitable" is a bit vague, my opinion is that rooms with water and electricity the fittings should be of a decent IP rating, maybe im just too fussy but i wouldnt be happy fitting those in a bathroom.

i remember as a kid splashing water onto a lightbulb when it was on, smashed glass everywhere and in the pitch black too..

it should be bonded inside but on a council contract we were specified that the boilers must be crossbonded, and all hot/cold at sinks, even when they are rcd protected and main services bonded anyways.

I just read up on the regs and the boiler is definitely ok, but the light fittings 2 of them are definitely in zone 2 and not suitable for location

Do you mean something like this?

bathroom light question/boiler earth bonding upload_2017-11-20_18-22-26 - EletriciansForums.net

im still learning, by no means an expert on the regs lol, still just a 3rd year :D, like learning to drive it is only when you go out on your own that you really learn, the more i read over the regs its definitely a c3 offence.

as a rule of thumb if a room contained a bog it got a waterproof light fitting when doing inspections, at least on the council contracts at my last job

im still learning, by no means an expert on the regs lol, still just a 3rd year :D, like learning to drive it is only when you go out on your own that you really learn, the more i read over the regs its definitely a c3 offence.

In which case why isn't your boss checking all this?

Do you mean something like this?

View attachment 39407
i mean that the pipes should be earthed internally to the earth terminal inside the boiler itself so no real need for bonding with tags and cable

the light fittings may come down to a matter of opinion over what is "suitable" as i did not measure the height of the lowest point of the pendant from the ground

Reply to bathroom light question/boiler earth bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock