Discuss Bathroom Lights flickering in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mark Blackman

Hi

Looking for a bit of advice (please).

From the top; we have just decorated so I unscrewed all the switches etc, once finished I fitted three new lights and screwed all the sockets back to the wall.. my two landing lights can be switched downstairs and up and all lights, loops and switches worked fine (I even impressed myself!)... Sooo, at the top of the stairs, I have a 2 way switch which switches the two spots in the bathroom and the landing lights aswell.. the issue I have is when I switch on the bathroom switch the spots are just flickering on and off (they weren't doing this before), I can hear the clicking if that makes sense behind the switch and then they flicker off again..

Do I need to take the switch off and rewire in case a wire has come loose, have I caught one of the wires when screwing the switch back to the wall, do I need a new light switch???

Hope this makes sense to you all, thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark and Welcome to the Forum !
Always tough to diagnose from afar, but I'd safe isolate the lighting circuit and have another look at the switch that making clicks. Please be very careful to ensure the power is off, as there is likely to be a floating or damaged live wire in there. Take a pic and post it up for more advice perhaps ?

Thanks Wilko, I'll have a look at the connections then as I may have moved the switch about a bit and the wires have come loose maybe.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

No, two lights on the landing and one downstairs in the hallway, didn't change the downlighters in the bathroom.

No, two lights on the landing and one downstairs in the hallway, didn't change the downlighters in the bathroom.

And you didn't pull them down for decorating which may have caused a loose connection? Certainly sounds like the switch in that case, it's not uncommon for old switches and socket outlets to get the odd wire come loose or pull out.

Actually depending on the method of wiring in the landing and the route of the circuit it could be one of your new lights. Are they looped at the switch or the ceiling rose do you know? Might be worth checking those connections too.

Hi leader, thanks for your reply.. no, we didn't decorate the bathroom so lights didn't move but yes I think they are looped so I'll check the connections there aswell.

Thanks for the advice

A couple of photo's may help to advise from afar. Sounds like loose connection at either switch or loop in/out connection on landing assuming bathroom feed comes from landing. did you change a pendant light to down lights on landing ?.

Thanks for your reply Anthony, I'm going to try checking the connection on the new light where the loop is. Replaced like for like pendant lights so didn't change any wiring so I suspect one of the wires isn't properly connected.

Will post up some pictures if this doesn't work, thanks again.

Mark

you said you could hear arcing at the switch. that.s the first place to look. loose connection or possibly a faulty switch.

Reply to Bathroom Lights flickering in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock