Discuss Bathroom shaver socket fault in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I've moved into a new house and the shaver socket in the bathroom (part of a light fitting) isn't working. There's no switch, it's supposed to be activated by inserting a two prong plug, but looking at it I can't see any moving part that responds to the insertion of a plug. I've attached an image below. I'm curious about the gap between the metal strip and an apparent receptor plate which I've tried to mark with an arrow. I'm wondering if somehow the strip should be pushed across by the insertion of the plug to complete a circuit?
Any help appreciated. Thanks for reading.

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/XCdeGef.jpg

Hi,
I've moved into a new house and the shaver socket in the bathroom (part of a light fitting) isn't working. There's no switch, it's supposed to be activated by inserting a two prong plug, but looking at it I can't see any moving part that responds to the insertion of a plug. I've attached an image below. I'm curious about the gap between the metal strip and an apparent receptor plate which I've tried to mark with an arrow. I'm wondering if somehow the strip should be pushed across by the insertion of the plug to complete a circuit?
Any help appreciated. Thanks for reading.

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/XCdeGef.jpg
With only a picture to look at, the strip could be bi-metallic and used as a safety cut out, what is that white circular jobby at the extreme right of your picture?

With only a picture to look at, the strip could be bi-metallic and used as a safety cut out, what is that white circular jobby at the extreme right of your picture?

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I've no idea what that thing is. I've tried to attach another picture in case that helps. Maybe I should have said that this fitting is probably about 30 years old.
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/4e5gJ5P.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I've no idea what that thing is. I've tried to attach another picture in case that helps. Maybe I should have said that this fitting is probably about 30 years old.
https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/4e5gJ5P.jpg
Time for a replacement??

Indeed. But I'm not competent to wire in a whole new fitting. Partly I was just curious why there was such a gap there, and I suppose having a faint hope there might be a quick (safe) fix.
Get a Sparky to supply and fit

Looks as though the light switch has to be on first, then inserting the plug should make the contact.

What does the spring do, do you think?
The disc shaped component may be a thermal cutout.

buy a rechargeable shaver . recharge elsewhere.

Thanks for all the comments. The socket doesn't work with the light either on or off, so on reflection I'm going to leave well alone for now and replace the whole thing in the future.

I think that spring is out of place it looks like it should be in the t shape cavity in to the right of it.

Reply to Bathroom shaver socket fault in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net