Discuss Battery Back Up Systems in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

woko

Hi, anybody fitted a battery back up system?
I've been asked about a 30kw with a back up system but I've not installed one before.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Lead Acid AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) or Deep Cycle Gel batteries are your best bet.
Lithium batteries are currently prohibitively expensive.
Panasonic are starting to mass produce Lithium batteries for renewable technologies so that may change in the future.

Last edited:
Keep us updated with this - I am sure you will be able to post some interesting findings as the project progresses which may help other installers as this technology becomes more popular!

I've been looking at the SMA systems, you can get a SBU 5000 with a switch box and charging unit the system looks fairly simple to wire. I'll keep my findings posted. I'm not sure about domestic systems but this could be a way forward for PV.

HI Folks,
Very nice topic, we have loads of questions our selves. We were supposed to install a 4kw with w battery backup system, using the island SMA. Initially the battery bank will be done by the customer which supposedly will be making his 'own' system. I am looking to learn more about it, so far we learned some stuff online, however we will welcome any further information.
Besides the schematics that we have, I would like to know more, like how is the switch between battery charging and the house consumption is made during the day? How the charging system knows when the batteries are fully charged? When the mains kick in if the battery power over night is insuficient for the consumption? What controls it? Is that all done by the inverter?

Does sound interesting, also think about smart system that would turn the freezer off (for short periods overnight when the doors would remain closed) and other appliances that do not need to be using valuable power ! This is the next step, as I've blogged before look up Donald Sadoway, also our government is backing large scale battery storage innovations.

Hi, anybody fitted a battery back up system?
I've been asked about a 30kw with a back up system but I've not installed one before.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Have installed a number of UPS's for MoD installations......do your research on types......i quite like APC UPS's. Im sure you will fit a EPO (emergency power off) button!

Spoke to SMA Uk today and I was told their systems will not be approved for use in the UK until next year.

In fact, when I was a novice, I started by learning from one of my colleague. Installing battery backup system is not a big time heck as you can do that by following a few simple steps. You do not need to have in-depth electrical know-how, just learning the steps would do! You can have a look on some YouTube videos.

Hope this will help! Good luck!

done a a couple of stand alones, and batteries are the critical element. You need plenty of storeage even to combat poor production days as deep cycling of batteries is a killer.... SMA island is an amazing bit of kit

Reply to Battery Back Up Systems in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock