Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Battery bank question in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ionelissy

Ionelissy Guest

Hi there,

my local solar installer tells me that I should not have more than 3 strings connected in parallel for my 24v battery bank.... is this correct?

what could be the problem if I have series of 2 batteries x 6 strings in parallel?

thanks. ​

2. MorganPVI

MorganPVI Guest

What panels, what charge controller and what batteries?

3. Ionelissy

Ionelissy Guest

suntech 250w, Outback MPPT 80amp charge controller and 12v SLA 230ah batteries

4. nowty

nowty Guest

Is your question about parallel strings of PV modules or parallel strings of batteries ?

5. Ionelissy

Ionelissy Guest

parallel strings of batteries.... 6 strings is too much? what can happen if so?

6. nowty

nowty Guest

I read about a week ago on a battery website that by putting more batteries in parallel , that although you increase the capacity, you also get more equalisation currents flowing which waste energy and thus lowers the efficiency of the system. So the recommendation is to limit the parallel battery strings to 3 and buy the largest batteries you can buy from the outset.

I think you could put 4 in series to make a 48v system with 3 parallel strings which would be more efficient but it obviously depends upon what you are powering with it.