Discuss BEAMA Calls For EICRs To Be Done In UK Residential Buildings Every 5 Years in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
An interesting report.

I'm in favour. My own opinion is that ten years between inspection and testing of domestic installations is too long, and that this period should be reduced to five years. I particularly like the proposal that an EICR be compulsory whenever there is a change of occupancy or use.

I'm sure the forum will have mixed views. Some members will be in favour, others not. So what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• Electrical Safety In UK Residential Buildings.pdf
    749.3 KB · Views: 18
Utter nonsense. The vast majority of properties don't require an inspection anywhere near that kind of frequency.
Plus, who are going to carry out all these inspections?
Crash courses for thousands of Inspectors, who will end up having the skill set of your average smart meter fitter?

Change of ownership, fair enough. I thought that was the norm anyway.

What a bloody nightmare that would be, that would likely lead to even more unskilled people working on domestic electrical systems, there are enough problems with consumer unit fires and so on as it is with out even more people having a fiddle. Just look at all the issues caused but the stupid smart meter 'rollout'.

It would also be make it an excuse for unscrupulous persons to push the expensive new AFDD consumer units.

Routine inspection and maintenance of an electrical installation is important, but forcing it every 5 years in every property is excessive. Providing the installation is wired to a reasonable standard in PVC cable, there should be no need for such frequent testing. Even 10 years isn't all that long when wiring is concerned.

I would have suggesting providing property owners with more information recommending having their wiring inspected - as many home owners have never even heard about such things.

Then again the people who can't be bothered with this stuff are likely to have the poorest condition wiring...

It would lead to the 2WW inspection and testing accreditation, there is a need for more domestic testing as when u ask a householder about electrical testing they just think PAT they forget about the install , houses that were wired 25/30 years ago are an issue as these were not wired to carry the loads that are imposed on them these days eg the 3kw fan heater plugged in to the extension bar , appliance fires seem to be more than electrical and it’s white goods eg tumble dryers washing machines and dishwasher that are main 1s as we know there is a massive retro fix if we want to call it that going on but with over 5 million appliances and no way of knowing where they all are there is no chance of getting it all done , and it’s not realy an electrical fault it is poor design of the actual appliance , if I’m right no electrical item would prevent them catching fire and it’s the UK gov that needs to address this but due to the £ involved say 5 mill x £200 per appliance lol nope no manufacturer can bare that outlay ,

I cannot vote. For me it is a ‘depends’.

Those profiteering from property rental should have to have five yearly inspections or at change of tenant.

That said tightening EICRs is useless without tightening our industry qualifications and who is actually qualifies and compentent to do such reports.

It would be a great idea in an ideal world, but it's not, and our industry isn't.
Landlords already operate on small profit margins and so the majority tend to always look for the cheapest services. There will be no exception for interval inspections.

Many of the lesser of our trade already use inspections as an excuse to generate work rather than submit an honest report, and many others are happy to oblige landlords with a fabricated, cheap "bit of paper to wave at the insurers"

I do have hope that it will pull up some of the installs that never get looked at let alone serviced, and there are plenty in the rental market. My mate was telling me today about a tenant he saw recently who had rented the same house for 30 years. No main earth and multiple final circuit faults. Never looked at.

That could also work the other way though, it's been a rubbish install for 30 years yet nobody died and it didn't go up in smoke.....so it may as well stay rubbish!

True!
When you start fiddling about checking stuff, especially old stuff, you end up breaking it.

If you're serious about reducing house fires, forget the electrics, concentrate on the morons who live in these places.

True!
When you start fiddling about checking stuff, especially old stuff, you end up breaking it.

If you're serious about reducing house fires, forget the electrics, concentrate on the morons who live in these places.
And plug in ?kw fan heaters into extension leads in exert room as they have hot wired there meter

Reply to BEAMA Calls For EICRs To Be Done In UK Residential Buildings Every 5 Years in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net