Discuss Bear with me on this one in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
So if you supply a external lamp post(metal),the metal is an exposed conductive part,& connected to the cpc,no main bonding required.
If you add a socket or a light to an external remote metal shed,will this need main bonding,or the cpc on the power point or light will suffice.
It’s an actual aleady extraneous part,with its structure embedded to earth.

If a shed is an extraneous conductive part with electrical accessories and wiring installed then no the cpc on a light or socket will not do at all regarding satisfactory protective bonding, how the hell would it?

So if you supply a external lamp post(metal),the metal is an exposed conductive part,& connected to the cpc,no main bonding required.
If you add a socket or a light to an external remote metal shed,will this need main bonding,or the cpc on the power point or light will suffice.
It’s an actual aleady extraneous part,with its structure embedded to earth.
An external lamppost will be classed as an exposed conductive part, if it was to introduce an earth potential then to provide protective bonding to it is pointless and unnecessary as it’s located directly outside, so you could never maintain or create an equipotential bonding zone being directly stood on the ground and all.

When I was a member of the ILE a debate took place as to whether the column of a lamp post could serve as an electrode for the purpose of staking PME supplies. The suggestion was no because most columns are treated at low level to prevent corrosion and as such may not be effective.

An external lamppost will be classed as an exposed conductive part, if it was to introduce an earth potential then to provide protective bonding to it is pointless and unnecessary as it’s located directly outside, so you could never maintain or create an equipotential bonding zone being directly stood on the ground and all.
Understand,so does the shed need Main bonding,it’s more like an open porch than a shed ie: no doors,just frame work.
It’s external,& like you said being stood on the ground outside.
Would that be referenced as a true earth,unlike extraneous conductive parts,which may introduce a potential.

If a shed is an extraneous conductive part with electrical accessories and wiring installed then no the cpc on a light or socket will not do at all regarding satisfactory protective bonding, how the hell would it?
Is it extraneous ,it’s outside.

When I was younger, I used to install lamp posts.
In order to be able to connect to the REC PME earth connection, we had to install an earth electrode (usually at the penultimate column).
Depending upon which REC we were dealing with, determined how low our RA had to be.
South Eastern, just wanted an electrode, the LEB wanted an RA of 10 Ohms.

Yea,can understand all these comments,we didn’t fit the socket,it’s on an industrial estate,the main supply is a 1,200 amp Pme system,so definitely an earth potential there.
The actual main bonding conductor is 50mm.

In order to be able to connect to the REC PME earth connection, we had to install an earth electrode (usually at the penultimate column).
Depending upon which REC we were dealing with, determined how low our RA had to be.
Why would you need an earth connection with a gas lamp ??

This would have been concrete columns?

You do realise, it was during the Napoleonic wars that they first installed electric lamp posts in London?
wrong. napoleon was defeated in 1815. London first got electric streetlights late in the century.

You do realise, it was during the Napoleonic wars that they first installed electric lamp posts in London?
Don't think that can be true Spin.
The napoleonic wars were late 18th early 19th centuary.
Edison was later in the 19th.

I'd say it's standard spec throughout the country -certainly for L.A. 'adopted' street lighting that the column has a 10mm main bonding conductor connected to the MET, the steel columns all have a terminal near the door opening for this. I know that in Cornwall at least 95% of the supplies are PME and when you consider your average 8 or 10 metre column on busy routes has a 'planting depth' of between 1.2 and 1.5 metres it's not going to do the RECs ELI any harm eh ?:)

Reply to Bear with me on this one in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock