Discuss Become an Electrician in 18 days! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thor

-
Reaction score
So seeing post ads on local community groups on Facebook advertising Kitchen and bathroom refute minor electrical work done.

This really gets my back up and think the system is a complete joke. They may have served a electeical apprentiship for 4years like most of us, but probably just done a part p course for 2 weeks and become 'qualified'. How do they have knowledge and experience in 2 weeks ? Is there a register that only people with apprentiships can go on ? I'm thinking of just getting a gold card for the sake of showing customers.

Gggrrrrr

So who would you want to do the electrics in your kitchen or bathroom refit a boil in the bag/Electrical Trainee who has got this part P T&I &17th and done practically in a booth with no/little on-site experience or an apprentice who has not got formal qualifications but has four years experience?

So who would you want to do the electrics in your kitchen or bathroom refit a boil in the bag/Electrical Trainee who has got this part P T&I &17th and done practically in a booth with no/little on-site experience or an apprentice who has not got formal qualifications but has four years experience?
None of em I would do it myself:p

Well I suppose the hardest thing for you is to decide which tool to use:rolleyes:.
Not really, just the right tool for the job, the difficult part is making sure (or should that be Shir) the tools are returned to their proper slot, and some thieving so and so ain't put them in their own tool bag, "camerabloke"

Customers do not usually ask about training or qualifications, or request a full history of training and experience. They seem to accept the builder's "electrician"or a few fancy stickers on the van. A recent one I was at, probably a proper sparky pulled the fuse and did the tails as they were squeaky tight but the rest was an absolute mess, knitted wires and terminals finger tight. Customer said they had an awful job with it tripping and pulled up floor boards again.

Carrying out domestic electrical work is no big deal and certainly not rocket science
Probably most tradesmen who can handle a hammer and a screwdriver would have the skill necessary to do a half decent job (if they follow what they are told is required);)
As for testing,we tend to go way overboard with our regime

I suppose if someone who did do an 18 day course turn up at a customers property and do a really good job I dont think the customer would care if he done a 4 year apprenticeship or not if truth be told.

To be honest I think we should show what we have. It gets to me because what was the point of doing an apprentiship when I could done a 18 day course and get paid full wack. Like whats been said . Consumers havent a clue and just want the cheapest price.

I was wondering about some of the latest replies, what do people think of the advertising that goes into the local rags, free magazines etc, the cost of running these publications is advertising revenue, and where do you think that comes from? Bert from down the Pub more than likely, if you believe that the editors of these rags care where the cash comes from you are mistaken, where is the policing of these adverts, that's why you are getting more and more cowboy jobs being done, because anyone can call themselves an Electrician, Plumber or whatever, there are no checks on peoples qualifications etc, still I suppose that free enterprise at work, I have seen it first hand. Sorry if it's gone off piste.

@Murdoch it has everything to do with the post. People don't care what you have as they don't understand and just use the cheapest quote. Buy cheap buy twice.

Refute ?

I have looked it up on a dictionary and a thesaurus and still don’t understand ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose if someone who did do an 18 day course turn up at a customers property and do a really good job I dont think the customer would care if he done a 4 year apprenticeship or not if truth be told.
That depends on your definition of "a really good job" - to a lot of domestic customers they want their tradesman to turn up on time in a clean van, have a tidy haircut, be 'polite' (to a lot of people this constitutes pronouncing your consonants), have a transparent pricing structure, clean up after themselves and above all, talk a good game.

Ironically none of this is taught in either course, and probably why a lot of people assume all the lucrative easy money the papers are always talking about is theirs for the taking.

Don't know if any of you have heard of it or registered for it but there is a new scheme called RESET its becoming mandatory if you want to undertake council or PFI maintenance work. It's basicly a scheme that allows the customer to see full QUALIFICATIONS by scanning card . Due to the Hacket report we will se more and more drive towards accreditations and accountability for design and certification in all trades. Can only be a good thing but wee Joe from down the pub will always be cheaper due to not having any formal accreditation costs and the avg householder just wants the job done as cheap as possible these days. Only larger jobs /contracts require formal checks for skilled workers and companies

Reply to Become an Electrician in 18 days! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net