Discuss Become an Electrician in 18 days! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Because I used to move in such circles, I know a fair number of "professionals" in many spheres..accountants, dentists, doctors, lawyers...they all had to get university degrees, taking from 3 to 7 years of study.
On graduating, most of them knew very little...all they had achieved was the right to continue their education within their chosen field.
There were no "unqualified" doctors...but I would rather be seen by a GP with 40 years experience than a newbie...
However, there comes a time when you have to accept the transition from "newly qualified" to "competent"...and from "experienced" to "highly experienced"...and you also have to accept that some "newbies" have good stuff to bring to the table by way of using innovation to improve the working day and the outcome for patients/clients/customers, by not being bound by tradition.
A mechanic may fix your brakes...an experienced mechanic may do the same job...the result should be the same, but sometimes it isn't, sadly. What matters is doing the right job, the safe job, the "perfect" job...friends, there will always be different opinions on here about such matters, but frankly there is no one solution...so don't let differing views turn into vitriol...just accept that everyone has an experience to support their cause, and try to be constructive, not dismissive.
Story-time:
I use a local tyre dealer (national brand) for my tyres, MOTs, servicing, etc. I have watched these two guys in one depot many times and I like their style. The old guy, (with a beard that would automatically qualify him for membership of ZZTop) and the "wee boy" who needs his mum to pack his lunch...they spar constantly, with banter that would make a marble statue smile...but, when the one who put your new tyres on has put the wheels back and torqued the nuts says he is finished, he goes off to do the invoicing and take payment...the other one takes the torque wrench and goes over each wheel just to double-check. It's a routine, a ritual...but it works. I use these guys because I recognise that they work well together and that gives me confidence. They might have been well trained, they might have been badly trained but just get on with it, but for sure they don't have any certificates worth knowing about, nothing on display in the workshop except the required credentials for carrying out MOT inspections...so, would you use these guys? No certificates, just workaday experience...
There will always be cowboys! Don't fret needlessly over the "unqualified" electricians...just get together to get government to put legislation in place to ensure that electricians get a voice that is listened to...and that will be the start of a new era where bodgers will be found out and removed. Please, don't be too hard on the DIY brigade, rather be more helpful in guiding them to professional advice...I am DIY, and I know my limitations...I am not a threat to you real electricians, it's the DIY blokes who THINK they are good who are the real threat...those who call themselves electricians and rip people off in a dangerous industry.
18 days?
I think not!

Jeez pirate.That's not a post, it's an essay. You could use it to splice the gangplank. :D:D:D.

@Murdoch just use the cheapest quote. .
Next Time want to buy a car or a carpet then I will ask the seller to add 50% on to make me feel better lol
Because I used to move in such circles, I know a fair number of "professionals" in many spheres..accountants, dentists, doctors, lawyers...they all had to get university degrees, taking from 3 to 7 years of study.
On graduating, most of them knew very little...all they had achieved was the right to continue their education within their chosen field.
There were no "unqualified" doctors...but I would rather be seen by a GP with 40 years experience than a newbie...
However, there comes a time when you have to accept the transition from "newly qualified" to "competent"...and from "experienced" to "highly experienced"...and you also have to accept that some "newbies" have good stuff to bring to the table by way of using innovation to improve the working day and the outcome for patients/clients/customers, by not being bound by tradition.
A mechanic may fix your brakes...an experienced mechanic may do the same job...the result should be the same, but sometimes it isn't, sadly. What matters is doing the right job, the safe job, the "perfect" job...friends, there will always be different opinions on here about such matters, but frankly there is no one solution...so don't let differing views turn into vitriol...just accept that everyone has an experience to support their cause, and try to be constructive, not dismissive.
Story-time:
I use a local tyre dealer (national brand) for my tyres, MOTs, servicing, etc. I have watched these two guys in one depot many times and I like their style. The old guy, (with a beard that would automatically qualify him for membership of ZZTop) and the "wee boy" who needs his mum to pack his lunch...they spar constantly, with banter that would make a marble statue smile...but, when the one who put your new tyres on has put the wheels back and torqued the nuts says he is finished, he goes off to do the invoicing and take payment...the other one takes the torque wrench and goes over each wheel just to double-check. It's a routine, a ritual...but it works. I use these guys because I recognise that they work well together and that gives me confidence. They might have been well trained, they might have been badly trained but just get on with it, but for sure they don't have any certificates worth knowing about, nothing on display in the workshop except the required credentials for carrying out MOT inspections...so, would you use these guys? No certificates, just workaday experience...
There will always be cowboys! Don't fret needlessly over the "unqualified" electricians...just get together to get government to put legislation in place to ensure that electricians get a voice that is listened to...and that will be the start of a new era where bodgers will be found out and removed. Please, don't be too hard on the DIY brigade, rather be more helpful in guiding them to professional advice...I am DIY, and I know my limitations...I am not a threat to you real electricians, it's the DIY blokes who THINK they are good who are the real threat...those who call themselves electricians and rip people off in a dangerous industry.
18 days?
I think not!
Far too long with no paragraphs to even consider looking at Pirate.

Fekn wastin' my time then, MDJ!
Mind you, there were some paragraphs.
Sadly, I see your message was far too short, with no commas, and a horrible split infinitive...
...and I do love the elipsis, which clearly is a device you seldom employ.
If you read what I wrote and didn't like it, I am very happy to hear your criticism. If you can't be bothered to read it-and I accept it was a long post, but for good reason-then don't waste my time telling me so.
Hissy fit over! Lol!

Its a bit like a boiler "engineer".. it took me 4 yrs to become an engineer before i had ever looked inside a boiler! You wouldn't get any such tradesman or technician being called Engineer in France or germany.. you would need to have letters after yr name.
You can't blame the punters for wanting to become an electrician, I blame our assessment system.

Reply to Become an Electrician in 18 days! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock