Discuss Becoming Qualified For a Career Change in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have tried to read through as many threads as possible but couldn't see the answer to this question so apologies if I am asking something that is obvious.

So I am researching the best way to change career into becoming an electrician, I am 35 and have a mortgage etc etc so an apprenticeship is out of the question as I will need to do it alongside my current job.

I have found 3 or 4 training providers who offer the C&G 2356 Level 2 and 3 courses on a part time or distance learning basis which to me sounds like the best way forward.

However I am aware from my current industry (fitness) that there are LOADS of terrible training providers out there and to be very careful about handing over money!

I am also aware of the 'Electrical Trainee' courses and don't want to end up on one of those.

So I suppose my question is - is the 2356 generally regarded as the best start point in the industry (other than an apprenticeship) and if so would part time or distance learning be an acceptable way to complete it?

Thanks for any help :)

Michael

Hi mate and welcome!

I can only comment going off my experience but I would suggest finding a local college that runs the City & Guilds Level 2 in Electrical Installations at night so that you can train and still work full time alongside it.

I have no experience of distance learning but I would guess you would have to travel to the providers centre at some point in order to do the practical exams. I saw one provider based in Nottingham which stated you had to stay for a week at some point during the course which just didn’t suit me although everyone’s situations are different.

I hope you get something sorted though mate!

Level 2 C&G 2365 then level 3 C&G 2365 are the industry's reconised routes. Then the 2356 when you're out working to get the NVQ.
College will always be the best bet, yes it will take longer but as others on the forum advised me at least this way you'll have more revision time, more time to take everything in.

Hi bud,if i may,what made you decide to go for this industry?

Apart from squats,up-hill climbs and feeling the burn...it is a long way from your present career :)

I'm currently retraining at the minute. I finished EAL Electrical Installation Level 2 in June, started Level 3 in September. I'm 38 and decided on a career change, well more accurately to correct a career error I made in 1998 lol. Looking forward I think I'll end up going down the "Domestic Installer" route.

Hi mate and welcome!

I can only comment going off my experience but I would suggest finding a local college that runs the City & Guilds Level 2 in Electrical Installations at night so that you can train and still work full time alongside it.

I have no experience of distance learning but I would guess you would have to travel to the providers centre at some point in order to do the practical exams. I saw one provider based in Nottingham which stated you had to stay for a week at some point during the course which just didn’t suit me although everyone’s situations are different.

I hope you get something sorted though mate!

Thanks for this mate - useful to know going forward, I have been looking at our local colleges - the only annoying thing is they only do intakes in September so I would be waiting nearly another year just to get started!

Level 2 C&G 2365 then level 3 C&G 2365 are the industry's reconised routes. Then the 2356 when you're out working to get the NVQ.
College will always be the best bet, yes it will take longer but as others on the forum advised me at least this way you'll have more revision time, more time to take everything in.

Thanks for your reply mate - College does seem to be the way forward, if I can find one that has useful intake dates I will go that route!

Hi bud,if i may,what made you decide to go for this industry?

Apart from squats,up-hill climbs and feeling the burn...it is a long way from your present career :)

Ha ha, yes it is indeed!

To be fair the fitness industry is a hard gig if you are successful, I have been doing it for 15 years now as a Personal Trainer working in London and living in Essex, starting clients at 6am and finishing at 9pm with the commute on either end of that is getting a bit old now!

We are also talking about moving out to Suffolk so I would need to start from scratch in terms of building my business again.

I chose this industry as I have always been interested in electrics and do quite a lot of my own DIY stuff so it seemed a good fit.

I'm currently retraining at the minute. I finished EAL Electrical Installation Level 2 in June, started Level 3 in September. I'm 38 and decided on a career change, well more accurately to correct a career error I made in 1998 lol. Looking forward I think I'll end up going down the "Domestic Installer" route.

You are in a similar position as me then.

Ideally I want to add the other trades at a later date and look at doing lofts, kitchens or something like that but need to get myself on the path first!

Ha ha, yes it is indeed!

To be fair the fitness industry is a hard gig if you are successful, I have been doing it for 15 years now as a Personal Trainer working in London and living in Essex, starting clients at 6am and finishing at 9pm with the commute on either end of that is getting a bit old now!

We are also talking about moving out to Suffolk so I would need to start from scratch in terms of building my business again.

I chose this industry as I have always been interested in electrics and do quite a lot of my own DIY stuff so it seemed a good fit.

Where abouts in Suffolk are you Michael Ipswich?

That's odd because I have been retired for a couple of years now and I fancy a new career, quite fancy brain surgery, can't be that hard can it? got the drills etc, might start looking at a course, good with the public. and after having surgery to my brain, I get the basics, just looking to get some experience, anyone know of any decent training establishments? willing to work for free for a year or two, to get the basics right.

That's odd because I have been retired for a couple of years now and I fancy a new career, quite fancy brain surgery, can't be that hard can it? got the drills etc, might start looking at a course, good with the public. and after having surgery to my brain, I get the basics, just looking to get some experience, anyone know of any decent training establishments? willing to work for free for a year or two, to get the basics right.
Hi Pete! It’s really strange you should say that because I’m currently running a distance learning course training people how to be brain surgeons at present. All you need to do is send me £2000 and you will be qualified in 6 weeks.

Private message me if interested.

If you are willing to work for free for a year or two the NHS will probably jump at the chance, they could train you up on the job!

Hi Pete! It’s really strange you should say that because I’m currently running a distance learning course training people how to be brain surgeons at present. All you need to do is send me £2000 and you will be qualified in 6 weeks.

Private message me if interested.
Thanks Mate may just take you up on that offer, on the other hand?

I've set myself a target of 5-6 yrs to be qualified, do I think it will make a knowledgeable electrician like the majority on here no chance.

I know it will be a long old process hence why I've gone down the college route.

I've said before being an electrician is not plastering or painting & decorating where you're allowed mistakes, it's a trade that with one slip up can cause serious injury hence why I'm taking it very seriously.

The way I'm looking at it is if it happens it happens if not at least I can say I've tried.

I've set myself a target of 5-6 yrs to be qualified, do I think it will make a knowledgeable electrician like the majority on here no chance.

I know it will be a long old process hence why I've gone down the college route.

I've said before being an electrician is not plastering or painting & decorating where you're allowed mistakes, it's a trade that with one slip up can cause serious injury hence why I'm taking it very seriously.

The way I'm looking at it is if it happens it happens if not at least I can say I've tried.

Agree with all of this - if I was in a position to give up work now and go back to full time education to start again that is what I would do.

Unfortunately I am caught in a mortgage trap at the moment so can't do that - it looks like evening study is going to be the way forward for me, just wish that colleges had more flexible enrolment times, that is where private training providers win out unfortunately.

I am looking at 4 years + to get going, like I said at the outset, not interested in mickey mouse, scrape you through the exams courses, just looking at what the general consensus is on the best route.

I agree with the last couple of posts above.

I’ve gone on the even longer route of starting on the City & Guilds Level 1 as it was literally the only evening electrical installation course that had a space left on it within an hours drive from me.

I would rather go the long route of getting the Level 1, 2 & 3 than doing some 6 week course that gives me a qual on paper but in reality I know bugger all.

Like my dad said to me who is also a spark, if you do something wrong it can potentially cost someone their life so its definitely worth taking a bit longer imo.

Reply to Becoming Qualified For a Career Change in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net