Discuss Been out of the game for a while..... How hard is work to find in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

Warleyboy

Hi all, would really appreciate some feedback to my mid life crisis, lol.
i currently work as a technician on 11kV and Lv main circuits. My job has changed recently with myself back in the field fault finding on Lv whilst also carrying out project work ,ie, installing Hv substations, overhead line, Hv/Lv diversions etc.
I carried out an electrical apprenticeship when I was younger and gained my c&g 236 parts 1&2, but come out of the game spending 13 years in telecoms and then fell into project management, but job has changed now with new owners and having to work out in the field again.
I keep getting told to work for myself as I am very hardworking and would reap the rewards for myself rather than the business who employ me. I would only take on domestic work to start off with as it has been nearly 20 years since I was properly on the tools.
I've kept my hands in it a little helping out family and friends when I can.
firstly, I would like to carry out a testing and inspection refresher, any ideas how long the course would take and at what cost ? Secondly, I want to work for myself as sick of taking crap from gaffers who wouldn't know a hard days graft if it hit em where it hurts, but how hard is work to find at the minute.
i earn in the region of £45,000 + depending on how much overtime they squeeze outta me, I would hopefully want to earn 30,000 per annum to keep me ticking over, or am I clutching at straws...
would love some serious feedback, as I'm deadly serious about this, having lost some close relatives recently and putting up with ****e managers, I would love to be in charge of my own destiny.. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes there time to answer this SOS.

Hi there, I work for myself 13 years as an electrician and it is tough to get paid on time. You are on good money ,I am always on call 24hr like it or not. My gaffers are my clients but in fairness they are not always looking down my troath. You can get courses for any thing that you are prepared to pay for ,my way is common sense and YouTube , good luck!

Hi all, would really appreciate some feedback to my mid life crisis, lol.
i currently work as a technician on 11kV and Lv main circuits. My job has changed recently with myself back in the field fault finding on Lv whilst also carrying out project work ,ie, installing Hv substations, overhead line, Hv/Lv diversions etc.
I carried out an electrical apprenticeship when I was younger and gained my c&g 236 parts 1&2, but come out of the game spending 13 years in telecoms and then fell into project management, but job has changed now with new owners and having to work out in the field again.
I keep getting told to work for myself as I am very hardworking and would reap the rewards for myself rather than the business who employ me. I would only take on domestic work to start off with as it has been nearly 20 years since I was properly on the tools.
I've kept my hands in it a little helping out family and friends when I can.
firstly, I would like to carry out a testing and inspection refresher, any ideas how long the course would take and at what cost ? Secondly, I want to work for myself as sick of taking crap from gaffers who wouldn't know a hard days graft if it hit em where it hurts, but how hard is work to find at the minute.
i earn in the region of £45,000 + depending on how much overtime they squeeze outta me, I would hopefully want to earn 30,000 per annum to keep me ticking over, or am I clutching at straws...
would love some serious feedback, as I'm deadly serious about this, having lost some close relatives recently and putting up with ****e managers, I would love to be in charge of my own destiny.. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes there time to answer this SOS.

Now it's people like you that the Electrical Trainee course should be designed for. However, at the ridiculous price of 5k i really wouldn't bother seeing as though you have relevant qualifcations but just abit rusty.

Try and get abit more work for family and friends, use this forum as a holy-grail, read the GN3, BGB, OSG like a religion and slowly build yourself back into it. You've had the experience in the past - it's just getting yourself back into the swing of things. Maybe try get work as a mate for a while before going it solo. Work is out there, providing you look for it. You got any friends that are electricians you could work for? Or do you know any plumbers,gasmen,joiners....this is a massive plus if you do.

You might be clutching at straws for 38k turnover for the first year (infact almost definitley) but in time, and providing you'll put the work in then it's not a unrealistic goal for the near future.

You will definitley need to take the 17th edition course though. And, if you're thinking of Self employment then the 2394 and 2395 courses aswell.

Good luck and i hope it all works out for you.

Hi there, I work for myself 13 years as an electrician and it is tough to get paid on time. You are on good money ,I am always on call 24hr like it or not. My gaffers are my clients but in fairness they are not always looking down my troath. You can get courses for any thing that you are prepared to pay for ,my way is common sense and YouTube , good luck!

Erm, what?

£1000/week?
Cloud cookooland.

Sit down and ask yourself how important your £45k/yr lifestyle is to you. Is it worth having you boss screwing with your mind or not?
Will your wife support you if you decide to live on less than £20k/yr just so that you're happy?

These are much more important questions than what course to take.

If you decide to go ahead concentrate all your efforts on the question of how to get customers. That's so much more important that what qualifications to get.

Good luck
Laurie

Secondly, I want to work for myself as sick of taking crap from gaffers who wouldn't know a hard days graft if it hit em where it hurts, but how hard is work to find at the minute.

Reply to Been out of the game for a while..... How hard is work to find in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock