Discuss Before and after some 'unbodging'. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've been doing quite a lot of work in a nice house for the last 3 days, bought by a retired lady and her son last Autumn and I was recommended after they'd had a N####C A/C in a few months ago.
The biggest job was lowering the C/U to a sensible accessible height, the previous 'Electrician' has fitted a new MK unit in the same position [up close to the ceiling in the garage] as the old Wylex because 'It has to be there for safety and to comply with the law' ! :rolleyes: More like making life easy I suspect.
The certificate for this work was entertaining, every insulation resistance reading in the house 200 Megohms and R1 & R2 on a doorbell transformer feed about a foot long of 0.5 ohms for example. No part P notification either ! There was also a 2.5mm socket radial on a B32 with a Zs of 1.4 ohms. In fact there were a multitude of bodges where this chap had been throughout the house, but I won't bore you all with that.
It just frustrates and winds me up that this sort of thing seems so common now and the decent tradesmen who work really hard and always do their best have to compete with these idiots.
Anyway here's a couple of before and after pictures. :)SAM_0085.JPG SAM_0087.JPG SAM_0085.JPG

SAM_0097.JPG

SAM_0101.JPG

SAM_0103.JPG

Like it Dave I prefer when people leave the cables sweeping into the bottom as it’s easier to test. The amount of times some numpty squeezes everything behind the back and your struggling to clamp your leads on.

Wouldn't have that 6.0 T&E on a 40A though, doesn't comply contained in trunking.

Well it's a run of under 6 metres in reality for an 8.5kW shower ,and the shower will get 10 minutes use daily. The trunking's in an unheated garage with loads of free space within so I'm not too concerned. :) Anyway I thought you'd be more interested by the use of 2mm CPC sleeving throughout. :D

Like it Dave I prefer when people leave the cables sweeping into the bottom as it’s easier to test. The amount of times some numpty squeezes everything behind the back and your struggling to clamp your leads on.

As it was an existing board Will I left it intact while connecting all the new cables whereas normally I'd remove the din rail with everything on it and connect all the neutrals and CPCs first, but it worked out ok.

Any pics inside the adaptable box of the joins?
Not to criticise, i just wanna see other people's preferred methods as i havent actually had to join in an adaptable box yet as most cu changes where ive lowered them ive either been rewiring anyway or pulled cables back along the run.
Would din rail connectors be the go to or something else?
Cracking job tho mate

"British Standard Finger"

I know that was a joke of course, but there genuinely is a "British Standard Arse" for testing furniture!!

furniture_testing.JPG

Is has strict dimensions and radii given in the 'rear' of BS4875-1 (superseded now).

Any pics inside the adaptable box of the joins?
Not to criticise, i just wanna see other people's preferred methods as i havent actually had to join in an adaptable box yet as most cu changes where ive lowered them ive either been rewiring anyway or pulled cables back along the run.
Would din rail connectors be the go to or something else?
Cracking job tho mate

You could use a din rail arrangement mate but I went with Ideal inline 32a rated straight push in connectors for everything apart from the 6mm circuits, used Wago 41a rated connectors for those. All just formed in neatly and not fixed as there's no mechanical strain at all in there. I didn't take any pictures but it looks fine. :)

Reply to Before and after some 'unbodging'. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net