Discuss Beginning of a journey in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Casper I fully appreciate about not working for free and just getting on with it, but another day passes and still no contact with the offer of free labour. I am however going to sign to an agency.
Gavin cheers for that. I'll look it up.

I am now given some serious thought to doing a course scope course at Aldershot that gets me
  • Full Scope “Certificate of Competence”
  • C&G 2393 Building Regulations Level 3
  • C&G 2382 17th Edition Wiring Regulations Level 3
  • JIB ECS Health & Safety Certificate
Any thoughts on this?
i assume the 17th will be swapped for the 18th edition course by the time you do it! If you can get your 2391 course paid for and do that as that is the most valuable testing qualification. 2391-52.. it is the 50 and 51 combined into one and will really serve you well. if later on you do the nvq and go for a jib card youll need it anyway. should be able to get that funded via your credits too.

Gavin, my initial plan is to do 18th, 2391-52, and pat at Clarkson Evans in chelt. With funding it'll only cost me about £300.
Then use the last shot of funding for my nvq 3.
That's still in the running as my top option unless someone can convince me otherwise for better value as well.

Hi - just my thinking, but I wouldn't advise doing 2391-52 as your first thing. You may get coached through it, but you won't benefit much from it just now. I'd leave this one till later. If you want to hook into some book work, grab the new BS 7671 (18th) and study up for the test :) .

I need to make the most use out of the funding I have available and CE only seem to have a few courses. Basically trying to get the most I can with the 2k of funding I'm allowed. I think I can use the funding to book the courses for separate dates, potentially leaving a largish gap between them

Hello, Dan. Sorry if this message is a little late. I done the level 2&3 2365 part time(Evening classes). The guy running the company was nice enough to let us pay monthly.

I used my Elcas to fund the 17th edition and 2391 the following year.

Top tip for you, Dan. You may, eventually struggle to find work having all the quals and not a lot of experience as in my case but one thing you will have that others don't is SC clearance being ex military. Lots of industrial firms are crying out for people with SC clearance who may let the experience bit slide as is what happened with me. Just be sure you don't take too long as it eventually expires, not sure how long.

Best of luck, Bud.

TradeSkills4U do courses for ex military (discounts!). There were two ex-army guys on the course I completed last year. Also, don't listen to all the negativity you find on some forums, it's amazing what a determined man can achieve in a short time. Compare a man with a family and a mortgage with a 19 year old apprentice who's only interested in booze, drugs, cars and sex, then you'll see how fast an old dog can learn new tricks!

I was made redundant in November 2016, I went to TradeSkills4U and completed their C&G2365 course (16 weeks in the class room spread over 32 weeks). At the same time as doing the course I started work with a local electrical contractor - I tried offering myself for free but they insisted on paying, which was nice, but it wasn't much money. I stayed with them gaining experience after I finished the course. I spent a lot of time being subcontracted to a local factory and when a position came up there (the factory) for a permanent electrician I applied, even though I don't yet have my NVQ3, I recently started there as an electrician on £40K/year. Lots of holiday, sick pay, pension, on-going training, and great working environment. Another guy on the same course as me is working in London as a mate for £180/day, with the experience he's getting he'll have enough evidence for his portfolio and will have his NVQ and gold card by Christmas. Rates at the 23 Bishop's Gate dev (where he's working) are in the region of £230/day for sparks.

To get work I don't think you've contacted enough companies. I used the 'find an electrician' section of the NICEIC website, I skipped all 'domestic installers', and copied the addresses of > 140 companies. I used a mail-merge program to send them all a personalised letter ("Dear [company name]"), I had about 40 responses, most were "thank you but sorry....", about 12 were "keep in touch we might....", and 5 were looking for someone, I interviewed with two (after checking them out on-line - didn't want to waste my time with 2-bit cowboys). If you can't work the mail-merge part of MS Office yourself find someone who can, there's no way you'll write 140 letters without it, and you need to mail a lot to get some response. Also, send an SAE with each letter, the recipient will know you're serious the more effort you put in.

Good luck, and don't give up, it's a lot of hard work, and the harder you work the sooner you'll get there - Oh, and don't stop asking questions of the seasoned pros!

Thank you all. The advice given hasn't fallen on deaf ears. I'm now looking at doing the 2365 level 2 and 3 through trade skills 4u.
Just got to work out how to organise and live with a wide and 2 kids while not really having an income.
Think I'll use my ELCAS for money off the 2365 then later use my last amount for further quals.
Again thank you all

Don’t ever call her ‘the wide’ in front of her - they get very tetchy when you say things like that!
Best wishes with it all - it’s a cracking trade, hard graft but great.
Thank you all. The advice given hasn't fallen on deaf ears. I'm now looking at doing the 2365 level 2 and 3 through trade skills 4u.
Just got to work out how to organise and live with a wide and 2 kids while not really having an income.
Think I'll use my ELCAS for money off the 2365 then later use my last amount for further quals.
Again thank you all

Reply to Beginning of a journey in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net