• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss BELL WIRE FOR RING PRO DOOR BELL in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LEEBOY

-
Reaction score
HI GUYS AND GIRLS,
LOOKING TO INSTALL A RING PRO DOORBELL WHICH IS POWERED BY A 3 PIN UK TRANSFORMER NOT FROM A CU .
MY QUESTION IS WHAT BELL WIRE TO USE PLEASE.

REGARDS LEE

HI GUYS AND GIRLS,
LOOKING TO INSTALL A RING PRO DOORBELL WHICH IS POWERED BY A 3 PIN UK TRANSFORMER NOT FROM A CU .
MY QUESTION IS WHAT BELL WIRE TO USE PLEASE.

REGARDS LEE
What voltage does the bell operate on?

The ring pro website recommend 20awg bell wire which is obviously american gauge wire but haven't got a clue as where to start with uk bell wire.
regards lee

20 awg is 0.52mm. Standard bell wire can come in various sizes and 0.50mm is one of them so this should suffice.

thats great, thanks ever so much for your help. Is there any problems chasing the bell wire into a brick wall or surface mount only.
regards lee

thanks for all your help. Clicking on the link brings me to a general search so dam i safe to say most standard bell wire will be ok.
regards lee

thats great, thanks ever so much for your help. Is there any problems chasing the bell wire into a brick wall or surface mount only.
regards lee
No reason why you cannot chase it into a brick wall but check it functions before you fill the chases as the small conductor is fragile. You can surface fix but the clips are small and are okay fixing to wood but brickwork they will be hard to fix and because the nail is short it is liable to fall out of plaster work finishes.

thanks ever so much for your help. Because its small i wanted to chase it as opposed to fixing it as it seems it would be fiddly and probably damage it along the way. thanks again for all your advice today.

just have a look on the ring website, they have all the info you need to install one and if you want it mains powered instead of battery it can give you a list of compatible powered door bell chimes that can feed the power to the ring device itself

personally, i'd use a bit of belden cable. it's tough as pete999's false teeth. :D

Thanks all. Forgot to say there is no existing bell cable or transformer at the CU hence why I'm going with the mains plug in transformer.
regards lee

sorry, pete. just my warped sanse of humour. no offence intended. :D

Thanks all. Forgot to say there is no existing bell cable or transformer at the CU hence why I'm going with the mains plug in transformer.
regards lee
Of course you could always use a wireless bell.

Reply to BELL WIRE FOR RING PRO DOOR BELL in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back