Discuss Bending 20mm galv conduit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard

Hi,

I'v got a job to do which involves putting 1 set into a length of galv conduit. I don't really get the chance to do any Galv as such, and don't have a proper bending machine. Could anyone advise as to whether a plumbers pipe bender would do the same job? or any other suggestions greatly received! I have access to a threading tool so thats no problem.

Thank you

you need a proper hilmor. the plumbers toy bender is only good for thin copper. you can hire one for the day.

As Spinlondon say, try a block of wood.

I remember doing my first set with a 4" X 4" block of wood thinking the old boy was winding me up, and was impressed how I got my first 45' bend, I then put the second 45' bend to complete the set we needed, only to hear the laughter from the old git..............he had watched me leave the wood in what would be the middle of the 2 sets. I can still hear his words...well then master David, how are you going to get out of that one! After what seamed like hours using a hacksaw, as that is all I had to cut the pigging wood, its funny I never made that mistake again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last bit of conduit work i saw in the UK, they didn't bother with double set's into the accessories etc, they just when straight in!! A right pig's ear it looked too!!

make sure you have plenty for the WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE bits that will go WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE as you chuck them away its a BLACK ART like reversing a caravan I know how to do it I have done it but I am absolutly useless at it Best of luck
BTW Block of Hilmore are the only way to go Plumbers bender is just like plumbers soft n wet

You can tell if the firm doing the work were scottish or english Coupling,lockringed = scottish no lockring = english serated washers= scottish no serated washers= english

Reply to Bending 20mm galv conduit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net