Discuss Benefits of single grid switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Newbie90

Hi all,

Is there a benefit to using a grid switch if its only a 1 gang switch?

Fair enough if you require a 3 or 4 gang grid switch but not if its only a 1 gang.

I recently worked in a low risk mental health unit which used these. The building is fairly old so is this what was generally used then or would a metal plate be classed as "safer" incase a patient tried smashing the switch?

Thanks

It can be easily altered in future to make it a double. Just like the job I'm on now adding emergency lights into the circuit so I only have to change the grid plate and front to accommodate the test switch.

Really all depends on the individual situation. Easier to adapt if altered and also easier to remove for decorating in a safer manner IMO

Somebody once told me they have silver contacts, which last a lot longer, ie better suited to the environment.
Also as mentioned they're likely to match the rest of the installation.

Deffo the thing to use , to use in the commercial field , especially with flories etc , with the collapse of the circuit , thats the man reason their are 10 AX

another big advantage is that the grid switches can be double pole and 20A.

Hi all,

Is there a benefit to using a grid switch if its only a 1 gang switch?

Fair enough if you require a 3 or 4 gang grid switch but not if its only a 1 gang.

I recently worked in a low risk mental health unit which used these. The building is fairly old so is this what was generally used then or would a metal plate be classed as "safer" incase a patient tried smashing the switch?

Thanks

An electrician would know this, think current rating????

I would imagine the old-skool domestic electricians, not these new-fangled 5 week DIs who haven't got a clue but proper electricians who just do domestic work, would rarely use grid switches, especially single gang ones.

Back when I was a 'mate' I was fitting a single gang grid switch and did everything up 'nice and tight'. Tightened up the yoke so I had difficulty getting the plate screws on. Did those up 'nice and tight' and cracked the faceplate. I learned a valuable lesson so not a total loss.

Reply to Benefits of single grid switch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net