Discuss Best drill for around 150 ?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

john25

-
Reaction score
Alright guys & girls so my drill died yesterday after falling 5ft off a ladder so in need of a new one, being only a mate I can't afford to spend that much for a high end Milwaukee or Hilti drills so im looking to only spend around 150 on a new one ??

1 of the spark's I work with said to Avoid the DeWalts & not bother with the Makita LXT model they have in Screwfix for 150 ,he said he has got a new Makita @ home which he is gonna bring in on Monday, he paid the same money but has a better motor than the LXT & comes with a 3ah batt & 22min Charger,

but in the meantime what would you guys recommend ?

I was looking at this Makita model MAKITA BHP458 18v CORDLESS LITHIUM ION COMBI HAMMER + 1 BL1830 BATTERY + DC18RC | eBay

anyone got or used that Makita model ??, it costs a bit more than 150 but I like that it is more compact than a regular sized drill which can come in handy at times & also has job lights on it & Battery charge indicator.

Cheers mate just had a quick look on Ebay but @ 300 quid I couldn't buy it & not cry myself to sleep every night afterwards ha!

You get what you pay for at the end of the day, I don't know of a 'good and powerful' £150 drill, only mediocre ones. If you want one that will stand up to the bumps, scrapes and falls of site use and one that stands the test of time and will still be operating five or ten years from now then you'll have to splash the cash I'm afraid :)

What you will get out of a £150-£200 Makita is a good drill that will last, but you'll get annoyed at some point when it can't handle an auger bit through a thick piece of wood or drill a 5.5mm hole in engineering brick.

If you simply cannot afford more, the drill you have selected is still a decent piece of kit.

Oh of course fella, but like I said earlier im still only a "mate" so can't afford to make that kind of investment in a top end drill right now ,that will come later on when I am earning better money

Nearly all my drills, etc are Hitatchi which have lasted amazingly well.

they're all 3.0Ah batteries, still got three NiMh ones going strong but theyre much heavier than the two Lithium Ion ones, I see they have just brought out 5.0Ah batteries.

Ps they are all 18 Volt batteries

Being in the same situation as the OP I finally decided on the Bosch blue GSB 18V li (not the GSB 18-2-li which is less powerful and only has a 10mm chuck) it has 67nm of torque and the one from screwfix comes with 1 4Ah battery for £150. I haven't really had the chance to put it through its paces yet as I am doing rip out stuff but it seems to have a bit of power to it. Three year guarantee if you register the drill online and two years for the battery.

Edit: That Makita looks pretty good though, I might have to get myself one

Being in the same situation as the OP I finally decided on the Bosch blue GSB 18V li (not the GSB 18-2-li which is less powerful and only has a 10mm chuck) it has 67nm of torque and the one from screwfix comes with 1 4Ah battery for £150. I haven't really had the chance to put it through its paces yet as I am doing rip out stuff but it seems to have a bit of power to it. Three year guarantee if you register the drill online and two years for the battery.

Edit: That Makita looks pretty good though, I might have to get myself one

The bhp451 is the older one with the three speed gearbox.

Better getting the 458 its only two speed but has more torque and is more reliable.

Makita drills are good as the body only drills are quite cheap.

The bhp458 can be had for under £100.

The bhp451 is the older one with the three speed gearbox.

Better getting the 458 its only two speed but has more torque and is more reliable.

Makita drills are good as the body only drills are quite cheap.

The bhp458 can be had for under £100.

I doubt that is with batteries and charger! At that price I assume it is the bare drill only.
If I am wrong, tell me where because I will buy one as a spare :)

I've got a 458 and it is excellent, definitely worth the little bit over the budget or £150.

btw. I think there is some confusion in the 1st post. LXT is the name for all makita's 18V drills. The 458 is an LXT, same as the cheap B&Q/screwfix specials.
I did hear a rumour though that some of the cheap ones have a different battery that is not comptible with the proper stuff?

That 458 on ebay is a bargain......

I doubt that is with batteries and charger! At that price I assume it is the bare drill only.

I've got a 458 and it is excellent, definitely worth the little bit over the budget or £150.

btw. I think there is some confusion in the 1st post. LXT is the name for all makita's 18V drills. The 458 is an LXT, same as the cheap B&Q/screwfix specials.
I did hear a rumour though that some of the cheap ones have a different battery that is not comptible with the proper stuff?

Yep I meant body only as above paragraph in my post, wrong there are two versions of makita drils the lct = $h!t one with 1.5amp batteries
Lxt = proper drill with either 1.5 or 3amp batteries.

The only difference is there is a little tab that needs cutting off on a lct to put an lxt battery in.

Ive just sent my 451 back to makita to get the gearbox changed free of charge (if it spins when you try to tighten it with a bit in)

They changed brushes and all on it too.

Cant beat the 458 its perfect to fit between joists etc

Never thought i would say it but after going through 4 Makita 18 v drills over the last 14 years i fancied a change and went with the bluespark bosch 18volt with 3 x 3amp batteries and 30 minute charger in an L box the ones that stack on top of each other, I paid 226.00
and in my opinion it blows my old makita's out of the water, packs a real punch and the battery life is awesome
I forget the model, but will drag my carcass to the van if you wanted to know.

Thanks for replying guys!

yep sry I only called it the LXT Model because I couldn't remember which one it was but I just checked and it's the 453 model that they offer for 150

is there any real difference between the different versions of the same models i'e 458RFE,458Z etc ??

Never thought i would say it but after going through 4 Makita 18 v drills over the last 14 years i fancied a change and went with the bluespark bosch 18volt with 3 x 3amp batteries and 30 minute charger in an L box the ones that stack on top of each other, I paid 226.00
and in my opinion it blows my old makita's out of the water, packs a real punch and the battery life is awesome
I forget the model, but will drag my carcass to the van if you wanted to know.

Were the makita ni cad?

I have a mate that has 4 in very good nick in his shed.

And no batteries.

He goes through one a year lol

Were the makita ni cad?

And no batteries.
yes mate i need to explain though my 1st 2 got robbed out of my van my 3rd went through a very large and expensive tyre shredder, courtesy of the Div i was working with we had installed a large granutech shredder and came to commision it, we were asked to clear the conveyor belts so i passed my drill to the lad who then placed it back on the infeed belt and the rest is history and the 4th is still in service but is on it's last legs. But like i said i am really impressed with the bosch ( Lithium) and i was a sceptic with the bosch before hand.

Were the makita ni cad?

And no batteries.
yes mate i need to explain though my 1st 2 got robbed out of my van my 3rd went through a very large and expensive tyre shredder, courtesy of the Div i was working with we had installed a large granutech shredder and came to commision it, we were asked to clear the conveyor belts so i passed my drill to the lad who then placed it back on the infeed belt and the rest is history and the 4th is still in service but is on it's last legs. But like i said i am really impressed with the bosch ( Lithium) and i was a sceptic with the bosch before hand.

Bosch are reliable definitely, I like my makita though as I can get a circular saw, grinder etc later

Thanks for replying guys!

is there any real difference between the different versions of the same models i'e 458RFE,458Z etc ??

Z is a bare drill, no batteries or charger. RFE is with charger and battery(s) I think. The basic drill is all the same.

Im a trainee and this is the drill I have, I haven't had chance to put it through its paces yet but everything ive needed it for it has been great !

http://m.screwflix..com/p/bosch-gsb...n-cordless-combi-drill-coolpack-battery/69942

Reply to Best drill for around 150 ?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock