Discuss Best make of RCBOs? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dishman

Hi,

Looking to source some RCBOs in UK as part of a re-wire here in Gran Canaria (will be done by a retired UK electrician). Looking for good price and performance (happy to pay more for better quality - but not just for a name). Can you experts recommend makes and suitable suppliers. Thanks.

What board are you going to be fitting?

I always prefer Hager or Wylex, never have any problems with the Hager but Wylex are cheaper. Personal preference, im sure people will disagree. What does your retired electrician recommend or you not asked him yet?

markc123, very quick response! He has been out of the game for a while (only doing it as a favour to me) so unaware of any current reliability issues with any makes. Hager does appear well made I picked up a EC050 meter today (106 Euros!). Saw really good prices on Wylex, but some people seem to be having a bit of a downer on these lately. Is there a problem with them, or just a bad batch?

I think you will be getting a lot of replies about using someone who appears on the face of it to be currently unqualified. You should try to find a local electrician who is qualified to the wiring regs of the country, I believe the Gran Canaria is an 'autonomous community' of Spain. Here is a thread about Spanish wiring regs (albeit a bit old): http://www.electriciansforums.net/non-uk-electrical-works/1658-spanish-wiring-regulations.html

As regards what make of product, do you not think you should source a local product? Seems a long way to go, to get a replacement should something breakdown.

I think you will be getting a lot of replies about using someone who appears on the face of it to be currently unqualified. You should try to find a local electrician who is qualified to the wiring regs of the country, I believe the Gran Canaria is an 'autonomous community' of Spain. Here is a thread about Spanish wiring regs (albeit a bit old): http://www.electriciansforums.net/non-uk-electrical-works/1658-spanish-wiring-regulations.html

As regards what make of product, do you not think you should source a local product? Seems a long way to go, to get a replacement should something breakdown.

If people have seen the quality of work in Spain then I doubt they will be recommending a local electrician...lol...

I'll say Hager too, Schneider too but youll pay twice the price of Hager...

When it comes to any RCD devices, none have the reliability that most will happily, but foolishly depend on!! Not even the high end named products. So Hager is as good a choice as any, and should be available in most European countries, even Spain... lol!! A lot of TT earthing in Spain, so perhaps a 100mA S type RCD should be considered in place of the main CU isolator.

MK or contactum is my preference, nought wrong with hager other than being made in France (try and support home manufacture where I can, even if MK is owned by honeywell now)

Had some bad experiences with Control Gear RCBO's (2 failures). Now I don't buy their stuff - serves them right for selling poor quality parts.

They were very cheap, so I guess you get what you pay for!!

Reply to Best make of RCBOs? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net