Discuss Best RCBO CU? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi all, have a similar problem..... would like to choose an RCBO consumer unit but am confused as to which brand to use :( even on here everyone seems to have their own preference as to which one is best!
project:- just bought a soon to be 8 bedroom house with one section of the house to be letted out. this letted out section of the house will consist of 1 bedroom, 1 living area, kitchen, and a shower/toilet. The shower will "not" be electric, and will be plumbed into the house plumbing.
The hobs will be gas, the ovens will be electric in both kitchens.
There will also be 2 immersion elements in the megaflow cylinder.
The property will also have an out-building (office) with an airconditioning unit.
Can someone tell me if i go down the route of using RCBO does that mean that it "replaces" the need for RCD's on the CU?
i was thinking of using 2 CU's one for my side of the house and the other for the flat to be letted out. Is this necessary or can i just get a say 20 way RCBO board for the whole lot?.... i know one of my neighbours with exactly the same lay-out had 2 CU's put in for this same purpose, and a seperate isolation unit also installed for their out-building.
i need to use the rolls royce of CU's so pls help, many thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me if i go down the route of using RCBO does that mean that it "replaces" the need for RCD's on the CU?
Yes, an RCBO combines the functions of an MCB and an RCD. If you go down this route, you will need to fit an RCBO in each position that you would otherwise have fitted an MCB. It's the "best" solution for various reasons, but more expensive than RCDs and MCBs.

i was thinking of using 2 CU's one for my side of the house and the other for the flat to be letted out. Is this necessary or can i just get a say 20 way RCBO board for the whole lot?
You can do either, but think about the situation if an MCB feeding a circuit in the flat trips and the occupier wants to reset it when the part of the building containing the CU is unoccupied. Also, if you ever want to meter the consumption of the flat separately, you'll need to have two CUs.

handysparks.... i didn't know you could have 2 meters fitted as i'm sure a few years back i made an enquiery to the electricity board and i'm sure they said that we couldn't as it was the same dwelling! also what about all the other elements i have listed? i.e.... 2 emmersions,2 ovens, out building, etc. pls advise, many thanks in advance :)

Went into a local denmans and they're selling Curve RCBO boards for £82+Vat (iirc ~10 way box, 6 rcbos and main switch). Box is designed for rcbos too so would of been a easy fix if we didn't buy one just for the breakers. Next CU change I may opt for another one to try out

handysparks.... i didn't know you could have 2 meters fitted as i'm sure a few years back i made an enquiery to the electricity board and i'm sure they said that we couldn't as it was the same dwelling! also what about all the other elements i have listed? i.e.... 2 emmersions,2 ovens, out building, etc. pls advise, many thanks in advance :)
You can have two supply meters if you have a second supply to the building (at a cost). Or you can fit a private meter to the supply to the flat and use it as the basis for charging for the electricity used (there are rules about how much you can charge).

As far as the rest of the design of the installation goes, you'd be best discussing it with an electrician who can see the physical layout and spend time on a design. Someone on here may be local to you. Where abouts in the country are you?

Re: Best RCBO NHP

Without a doubt the best RCBO is the NHP MOD6.
I've been installing RCD safety switches exclusively for 13 years in Australia using exactly the same gear that is used in the UK and Europe.
Without a doubt the best RCD RCBO safety switch is the NHP MOD6 which I've now been using for several years. It is made in Hungary, although even if it was made in China it would probably make little difference? It is the only RCBO that has never let me down so the Quality Control must be right up there. The MOD6 is also branded by several other big electrical manufacturers as it has proved so robust.
R Middleton
SafetySwitch electrical services
Perth.

contactum for me. old school look and metal enclosures. made in uk not some chinese crap. fair prices on rcbo and accesories.

The only rcbo's I now use are supplied by SBS.
They are single module and double pole, so no neutral fly lead to mess up the enclosure. They are space saving being single module and utilize a dual busbar.
£13.00 each.

Id go for the rcbo everytime forget the split loads CU's you really dont want the issues of nuisance tripping, i have a contact who has been importing the standard rcbo units which are made at the same factoty as the contactum range which cost £10 plus vat which fits the MK boards or his own IP55 rated boards

he also does the new compact rcbo units which are the same 19mm width and the same height as a standard mcb unit for £12 plus vat, i got a 12 way IP55 rated CU with 100 amp main switch, eight compact rcbo's with two free spaces for expansion, delivered next day inc vat for £144.00

lee

+1 with not clever my supplier is "david stansfield" "SBS" great guy great products

"amlu" think if you look into contactum a little deeper their rcbo's are made in china same as MK

lee

Last edited by a moderator:
He told me he used to be a napit assessor, I must give him a call I need a couple of boards for a job in a week or so......might need some of his new lamp post rcbo's/timer units if customer accepts my quote.

Reply to Best RCBO CU? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net